Author Topic: India? 2nd Surrey Artillery, 5th Brigade  (Read 1946 times)

Offline helvella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
India? 2nd Surrey Artillery, 5th Brigade
« on: Tuesday 25 October 22 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hopefully there is someone here who can help me with this research problem.  I am looking into a brief period in my ancestor's life in which he is said to have served in India as a young man (16 years old, perhaps).  The family lore places him in India, but the only potential physical evidence we have for this service is a silver cup which reads:

2nd Surrey Artillery, 5th Brigade, Trumpeter Clever, 1865. (see photo attached)

It is supposed to be an award for his marksmanship (again, according to family lore). In India he was also supposed to have performed in amateur musical theatre to entertain the officers' wives. He later went on to be a tenor in Gilbert and Sullivan musicals.  His name was Charles Cleaver but went under the stage name Charles Campbell. 

I had a vague idea that he might have served as a part of the "Volunteer Movement" which arose around 1859, but I have nothing to back that up and I have no idea if this would place him in India.  Does anyone know if records exist for this 2nd Surrey Artillery, 5th Brigade and where I would find them?  Any other information on this topic would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: India? 2nd Surrey Artillery, 5th Brigade
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 20:34 BST (UK) »
This was a militia unit, part time soldiers, so service in India very unlikely.  Trumpeter Clever is mentioned in various London newspapers taking part in shooting competitions with the Surrey Artillery Volunteers in 1866 and 1867. Presumably that's what the trophy was for but I haven't found an 1865 report as yet.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helvella

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 October 22 20:37 BST (UK) »
@ShaunJ
Perhaps the newspaper articles you are referring to are behind paywalls. Can you give me the sources so I can track them down?  The only reference I saw was in a reference to the company (not Cleaver) in London Daily News Mar 27 1866, Page 3.
Thanks so much for your time!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 October 22 14:57 BST (UK) »
Can you give me the sources so I can track them down?

London Evening Standard 20 July 1866, page 6 final column "Volunteer Artillery Carbine Match"

Volunteer Service Gazette and Military Dispatch 28 July 1866, page 4, final column, "1st Middlesex vs 2nd Surrey Artillery"

Volunteer Service Gazette and Military Dispatch 2 March 1867, page 3 column 2. He was one of 7 officers and men presented with silver tankards.

There are several more in 1866 and 1867.

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 October 22 18:21 BST (UK) »
I suspect "V. Brigade" in the photo means Volunteer not Fifth.
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Johnson (Wimborne, East Dorset)
Hopkins (Roxburgh., Yorks.)
Kidd (Westmoreland)
Lake (East Cambridgeshire)