Author Topic: Burials of Samuel and Hannah Grocott - Weston - Non Conformists  (Read 809 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials of Samuel and Hannah Grocott - Weston - Non Conformists
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 10:51 BST (UK) »
The problem is that you already have the burial information and the ages you quote in your post are the ones seen in the registers = Samuel aged 92 and Hannah aged 82.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
Re: Burials of Samuel and Hannah Grocott - Weston - Non Conformists
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 October 22 11:28 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks BumbleBee - I'll go with the church register ages (and not the Civil Registration) as they fit!
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet

Offline Rob - Leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can't beat a centre parting...
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Burials of Samuel and Hannah Grocott - Weston - Non Conformists
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 October 22 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Again many thanks for all the comments and help.

We have now received the two death certificates and I have come to some conclusions. I'll explain the findings and my thoughts in case the information is useful to anybody in the future.

The death certificate for Samuel Grocott has date of death 6 Dec 1878, Weston. Samuel Grocott. Male. 84 Years. Agricultural Labourer. Informant was Kate Lindop (Daughter - present at the death).

Who is Kate Lindop?

Samuel and Hannah had a daughter Catherine.
Baptism Date: 11 Feb 1827
Baptism Place: Wybunbury, Cheshire, England
Father: Samuel Groucott
Mother: Hannah

I cannot find a marriage for her, but I did find a John and Kate Lindop living in Monks Coppenhall in the 1871 census, with two sons. William born 1863 and John born 1868. The civil registrations for their births have mother's Maiden Surname as 'Groncott' and 'Groucott' respectively. This makes me fairly happy that we have the right Samuel. I am not happy however with his age at death = 84. This would give a date of birth = 1794.

I was trying to match him with one of the following Wybunbury baptisms:

28 Jul 1782 - father = John Grouwcett
17 Sep 1786 - mother = Elizabeth Groucett
20 Apr 1788 - father = Peter Groukett

BumbleBee tells me that the BURIAL record for Samuel gives an age of 92. This fits with the 1786 baptism...

Hannah Grocott's death certificate has date of death 7 Feb 1875 Englesea Brook, Weston. Hannah Grocott. Female. 61 (or 67) years. Wife of Samuel Grocott a farm labourer. Jane Taylor present at the death, Englesea Brook Weston.

We believe that Samuel's wife was Hannah Cooper around born around 1792 (average from 3 census returns). Again the age on the death certificate gives a birth year (of 1808) which does not fit, but BumbleBee's burial record age is 82 which gives 1793. Almost perfect.

Going back to the other two Samuels...

I have found a Samuel who married Lydia Lockett. In the 1851 census his age is 63 which gives us a year of birth 1788. So likely to be son of Peter.

Finally there is a Samuel who married Sarah Waste in 1805. They have their family baptised in Wybunbury between 1808-1824. However Sarah is living without Samuel in the 1841  census' at Blakenhall (but with some of their children). In 1851 she is again in Blakenhall as a widow with two grandchildren (more work needed on them). So it looks like her husband Samuel died after the birth of their youngest child Thomas, born 1824.

I have found two burials for a Samuel Grocott. The first one is noted here but I'm sure is not our man :- Samuel Grocott, Age 32, Burial Date 22 Jul 1828, Burial Place Burslem, Staffordshire. This gives a birth in 1796 which is not a good fit to any of the three Samuel's born in Wybunbury. It would also mean that he was age 9 when he married Sarah Waste in 1805.

The second burial is an almost perfect 'fit' : Samuel Growcott, age 50, Burial date 29 May 1833, Burial Place Wybunbury, Cheshire. This gives us a birth in 1783. The image of the record also tells us that Samuel is from Blakenhall. 

So the final result is

Samuel Growcott baptised in Wybunbury 28 Jul 1782 - father = John Grouwcett - married Sarah Waste 1805
Samuel Growcott baptised in Wybunbury 17 Sep 1786 - mother = Elizabeth Groucett - married Hannah Cooper 1813
Samuel Growcott baptised in Wybunbury 20 Apr 1788 - father = Peter Groukett - Married Lydia Lockett 1811

Phew!

Addendum.

I forgot to mention - I was wondering why there were three Samuel's in the same village of a similar age and asked myself if maybe John, Peter and Elizabeth were siblings. I found the following series of baptisms all with a father = Samuel Grocott (I've now called him Samuel Grocott the elder... I've already got a junior and a senior!).

John Grocott Baptism 8 Mar 1743 Nantwich, Cheshire (I haven't found a burial so the Nantwich and Wybunbury children could be serarate families)
Richard Grocott Baptism 25 Oct 1745 Nantwich, Cheshire
Thomas Grocott Baptism 11 Jun 1749 Nantwich, Cheshire. Burial 29 Sep 1750 Nantwich, Cheshire
John Grocott Baptism 10 Nov 1754 Wybunbury, Cheshire
Peter Grocott Baptism 17 Apr 1757 Wybunbury, Cheshire
Mary Grocott Baptism 3 Jun 1760 Wybunbury, Cheshire
Elizabeth Grocott Baptism 18 Mar 1764 Wybunbury, Cheshire
Jane Grocott Baptism 13 Aug 1769 Wybunbury, Cheshire

I also found a possible baptism for Samuel the elder : May 27 1719  Wybunbury, Cheshire, father = Stephen Groucott.
Grant, Green, Beyless, Coltman, Willis, Judge, Withers, Curtis, Ison, Pearson, Sims, Meadows, Gadsby, Burgess, Wilson, Keeling, Hooke, Suffolk, Shortland, Beeby, Rolfe, Brann, Sims, Henson, Warren, Pyle, Ball, Beck, Spencer, Kitchener, Washbrook, Sewell, Wheway, Hastings, Friswell, Redhouse, Plantagenet