Author Topic: George Haworth death 1848  (Read 237 times)

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Haworth death 1848
« on: Thursday 27 October 22 06:58 BST (UK) »
I found a burial for George Haworth in March 1848, Holcombe Emanuel. However, when I tried to find the record using the GRO UK I can't find the record. His abode was Holcombe and, according to the Bishops transcript, he was 58. I can find the record on the Lancashire bmd.org website where his age is recorded as 51 but it is the only record for Edenfield and the year is correct.

I've searched GRO from 1844 through to 1852 without success and I'm at a loss to fathom why the record isn't jumping out at me!

Any help gratefully received.

Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Haworth death 1848
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 22 07:18 BST (UK) »

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
Burial: 15 Mar 1848 Emmanuel, Holcombe, Lancashire, England
George HAWORTH    38y     Abode: Walmersley       Buried by: E. Luby

...3...5...8.....can be difficut to clearly transcribe so different age here might not be significant.

If he is 38y at 1848, is this George HAWORTH still of interest to you?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 October 22 07:19 BST (UK) »
Abode Walmersley if this is the right Holcombe burial. Age does look more like 58 than 38:  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2577/images/4168595_00661

If so the Registration District would be Bury. This could be the GRO record:
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 October 22 07:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your speedy responses. I admit the print is difficult to transcribe. I didn't search under Howarth to be honest because this family were more Haworth than Howarth, although they can be interchangeable can't they? If he died in 1848 aged 58 he was born around 1790 which fits with the guy I'm looking for. I believe the other GH who died aged 38 in 1848 might be a nephew to the older GH..

Thanks once again for your help. I'm trying to unravel the Haworth people from Leaches as it appears there were two George Haworths from Leaches, one was a farmer and the other a carter/labourer. I'll probably be posting on here for the next couple of days as I'm currently going round in circles.
Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 October 22 01:20 BST (UK) »
I found a burial for George Haworth in March 1848, Holcombe Emanuel. However, when I tried to find the record using the GRO UK I can't find the record. His abode was Holcombe and, according to the Bishops transcript, he was 58. I can find the record on the Lancashire bmd.org website where his age is recorded as 51 but it is the only record for Edenfield and the year is correct.

Death registrations 1848 on Lancashire BMD
HAWORTH George age 51 Edenfield sub-district
HOWARTH George age 58 Walmersley sub-district
The Edenfield death was under Hynburn registration district (includes Haslingden and Accrington). The Walmersley death was under Bury registration district. There were several changes to registration districts, townships and civil parishes in this area in 19th & 20th centuries. BMDs might be registered under Bury, Heywood, Haslingden, Rawtenstall, Rossendale or Hyndburn, depending on year and location of event.

Burials on Lancashire OPC
16 January 1848 St. James, Haslingden
George Haworth age 51 abode Edenfield

21 Jan. St. James, Haslingden
George Haworth age 37 abode White Syke, Church parish

15 March Emmanuel, Holcombe
George Haworth age 38, abode Walmersley

16 April St. James, Haslingden
age 67, abode Accrington

Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth was a township.

Cowban