Author Topic: Elizabeth Pender Athy Kildare  (Read 290 times)

Offline sarahgeaney68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Pender Athy Kildare
« on: Thursday 27 October 22 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been trying to connect Elizabeth Pender from Athy to the right parents.
I have a possible but can never connect either of them correctly to my husband's family tree, she is my husband's great grandmother,
I have also her Marriage certificate from 9th June 1890 in Birkenhead which states her father is William Pender Labourer, this also states she is 23 (so Approx 1867)

1) Eliza Pender 9th July 1868 Parents William Pender and Julia Pender Nee Connor Athy, yet when I search for a marriage of the parents it brings up a William Prengergast Athy 28th Nov 1854.

There is strong links with Derryoughter where Elizabeths daughter Annie passed away in 1980.

I have made tree's from several pictures of headstones from crosskeys cemetery to try and help me connect but I just get lost with so many William's
I have no wish to upset or offend anybody related, I just wish to connect the tree's correctly for our grandchildren.
Thank you.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Pender Athy Kildare
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 22 22:30 BST (UK) »

"I have also her Marriage certificate from 9th June 1890 in Birkenhead which states her father is William Pender Labourer, this also states she is 23 (so Approx 1867)"

From the marriage certificate that you have, can you please list all the information.....everything on the document please.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 October 22 09:38 BST (UK) »
Pender and Pendergast I've seen used interchangeably.
The parents married in Athy but most of the children were baptised in Monasterevin using Pender, looks to be a simple case of different priests using different spellings.
There are other children to this couple
James 1858
Patrick 1862
William 1865
Honor 1871
but also a Bridget in 1856 baptised in Athy as Pender.
The timing of the births, the mother's name and there being no baptism records for Pendergast Connor would indicate that William Pendergast and William Pender are the same person.
Also there is no marriage for Julia Connor to a William Pender.
There may be other children after 1871.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 October 22 10:08 BST (UK) »
Ah I knew I'd came across this Pender/Pendergast exchange before
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=776463.msg6301307#msg6301307

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 October 22 20:19 BST (UK) »
"Varieties and Synonyms of Surnames and Christian Names in Ireland" by Robert Matheson, Registrar General of Ireland listed Pendy and Prendergast as variants of Pender, based on information from district registrars.
Cowban

Offline sarahgeaney68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 October 22 16:22 BST (UK) »
Apologies to everyone for taking so long to reply,
@Wivenhoe the marriage states Saint Laurence's Church Beckworth Street, Birkenhead
9th June 1890 Elizabeth Pender 23yrs Spinster 167 Brook Street, Birkenhead, Father William Pender Labourer.
John Hutchinson 25yrs Bachelor Dock Labourere, 14 Wood Street Birkenhead, Father William Hutchinson Labourer
Witnesses Edward Kelly and Bridget Kelly. I've struggled to upload a picture.

@Sinnan Thank you for that I was unsure of the name changes but did think it was a possibility, I have made a simple tree with the family names you have,
Eliza Pender 9th July 1868 Parents William Pender and Julia Pender Nee Connor Athy, yet when I search for a marriage of the parents it brings up a William Prengergast Athy 28th Nov 1854. So as you suggest it would more likely be this. Thank you also for the other thread it made good reading and I read it again.

@Maidenstone Thank for that I should know with my own name of Finegan, but nice to have it formally acknowledged.

My husband has done his DNA and the few I've had contact with are reluctant to answer any questions I have as to connect the right Elizabeth's parents.

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to reply
Sarah

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline sarahgeaney68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 October 22 17:55 BST (UK) »