Author Topic: Harry Hall football career  (Read 8585 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Harry Hall football career
« on: Saturday 29 October 22 16:06 BST (UK) »
I have known for many years that my great uncle Harry Hall had been a professional footballer, however did not know anything more.

Finally made a breakthrough with the 1921 census, which shows his occupation as Footballer (Pro), Lincoln City F.C. (attached below).

On Wikipedia there are a couple of articles which appear a little confused:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hall_(footballer,_born_1900)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hall_(footballer,_born_1893)

I think that my Harry was the first one, although the birth year and a few details are incorrect. However the second one also shows as played for Lincoln City, which I think may be an error.

My Harry was born in 1897 in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, and died 23 Jun 1924 in Beeston, Nottinghamshire. I have his death certificate, and occupation is shown as "engineers press operator", so apparently not still earning his living from football by that point.

Harry had married Maggie Everitt in 1922 in Nottingham, and they had one son, Frank born in 1923 who sadly died aged 4. When Frank was born in July 1923, Harry was recorded as a footballer but no other detail. I have not been able to trace what happened to Maggie after Harry's death.

I am curious to learn out more about Harry's football career, however it has been quite confusing, as there were a few footballers of the same name in the same period. I know for certain that he is not the Harry Hall who played for Sheffield United. From what I can tell it looks like Harry played for Lincoln City then Darlington, but I am not sure if he played professionally before this.

Thanks,

Alexander

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Harry Hall football career
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 22 16:33 BST (UK) »
Probably worth writing to the football clubs where you think he played. Enclose a stamped addressed envelope if using paper.
Worked for me when chasing up my G Uncle Bobby MUSGROVE who played for Barnsley, Durham City and possibly Leeds though Leeds United said that had no record of him.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 22 16:55 BST (UK) »
Good idea, I will try to contact those clubs.

Thanks,
Alexander

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 October 22 17:01 BST (UK) »
Some newspaper items -

Lincolnshire Echo 5 Oct 1923 -
In the Darlington ranks will be seen Harry Hall, the erstwhile Lincoln right winger ~~

Lincolnshire Echo of 8 Dec 1923 =
Harry Hall, ex-Lincoln City, has lost his place on the Darlington right wing to a local lad named Kirkham.

Lincolnshire Echo 6 Feb 1926 -
congratulations to Harry Hall, the ex-Lincolnshire forward, upon securing a place in the Manchester United first team this afternoon.
Hall was with Acrington Stanley last season, and has developed into a clever right winger,

The last one casts some doubt on when he died.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 October 22 19:15 BST (UK) »
There are 2 births in 1897 for a Harry Hall

If your Harry was b Southwell then he is the birth reg June qtr 1897 Southwell  mmn Kemp

There is also a Harry Hall birth Basford March qtr 1897  mmn Ambler

Also a March qtr 1896 birth in Worksop

Were his parents Charles Hall & Harriet Kemp?

Maggie Everitt was b 1897 Melton Mowbray

Did Maggie report his death?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 October 22 20:31 BST (UK) »
Lincolnshire Echo 6 Feb 1926 -
congratulations to Harry Hall, the ex-Lincolnshire forward, upon securing a place in the Manchester United first team this afternoon.
Hall was with Acrington Stanley last season, and has developed into a clever right winger,

The last one casts some doubt on when he died.

Yes this is where some of my confusion came from, but I think this last Harry Hall is the one who played for Sheffield. He lived in Newark where he died in 1961.

There are 2 births in 1897 for a Harry Hall

If your Harry was b Southwell then he is the birth reg June qtr 1897 Southwell  mmn Kemp

There is also a Harry Hall birth Basford March qtr 1897  mmn Ambler

Also a March qtr 1896 birth in Worksop

Were his parents Charles Hall & Harriet Kemp?

Maggie Everitt was b 1897 Melton Mowbray

Did Maggie report his death?

Yes, Harry was born 4 May 1897 in Southwell. Parents Charley Hall and Harriet Ann Kemp. I've had no problem tracing his parents, it's mainly Harry himself.

Maggie did register Harry's death (well she is recorded as "M. Hall, widow of deceased"). The address he died at in Beeston was his parents' address, so I know for certain that I have the right death record.

Maggie was born 6 Sep 1897 in Saltby, Leics according to her birth cert. I've tried searching the 1939 Register and GRO death indexes for any Maggie or Margaret with this birth date, but not come up with any that fit. She appeared as Maggie in all records, except the 1921 census which shows her as Margaret.

I have just ordered his son Frank's death certificate (1927) to see if that shows Maggie under a different surname, if she had remarried by that point.

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I have just received Frank's death certificate:

13 Aug 1927, Sanatorium, Gilroes R.D.
Frank Hall, male, 4 yrs, of Ullesthorpe R.D., son of Harry Hall, Professional Footballer (deceased)
Cause of death 1a Tuberculous meningitis, b Tuberculous hip joint. No P.M. Certified by H. Stanley Banks, M.B.
Registered 15 Aug 1927 by M. Everitt, aunt, of Rowsley House, Rowsley St, Leicester.

Was hoping Maggie might have been the informant, but no luck.

I know Frank is buried in Beeston cemetery in the same grave as his father, Maggie is not with them.

Will have to investigate the aunt M. Everitt - but got to go for now.

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Sure is confusing as to which Harry Hall is which.

Lincolnshire Chronicle 13 May 1910 - Signing-On News -
Harry Hall, outside right, of Rotherham Town Club, has been secured to play with Huddersfield Town Club next season.

Lincolnshire Chronicle 14 Aug 1911 - Grimsby Town - ~~ The new forwards include Harry Hall, a West Yorkshire man and an outside-right, who was with Huddersfield Town last season. ~`

Ripley and Heanor News and Ilkeston Division Free Press, 17 Dec 1920 - Notes on Sport - Harry Hall, centre-forward, of Ilkeston, has been transferred to Sheffield Wednesday.

Sheffield Independent 1 Dec 1920 - Wednesday’s New Man - Wednesday left early yesterday afternoon for Cardiff, with a new centre-foward in Harry Hall, of Ilkeston Unites; who played with Sheffield United he year before the war.

Derby Daily Telegraph 28 January 1922 - Wednesday and Hall - We understand that Sheffield Wednesday would not refuse any reasonable offer for Harry Hall, the ex-Ilkeston Town Forward. ~~ Hall’s best position is centre forward.

Stapleford & Sandiacre News, 03 Mar 1923 - I hear that Harry Hall, late of Long Eton and Sheffield Wednesday, is now assisting Newark as a full back in the Central Alliance.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 19:25 GMT (UK) »
The "Star Green 'un" seems to be the best for match reports and naming the Lincoln team. Provided they were playing the "W" formation at the time and weren't pioneering 4,3,3 etc, I can see a Hall (no initial/given name) on the right wing from 30 April 1921 (his debut, having moved from Pinxton) to 15  April 1922. Some games in the reserves. Yet to check 1922/23 season or details of a transfer.

Added - he was in the team for the last game of the season 6 May 1922 against league champs Stockport County. Lincoln had been champs previous season.