Author Topic: I'm probably being thick! FindMyPast disappointment  (Read 2041 times)

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm probably being thick! FindMyPast disappointment
« on: Saturday 29 October 22 18:18 BST (UK) »
I've been researching my maternal side since 2009, quite successfully. I have used all the free online databases, national archives for wills and other documents and joined TheGenealogist for a good year. Yesterday, because I want to tie up some loose ends - and I had seen on FamilySearch that "images" of various BMDs are available on FindMyPast, I took out a three month subscription to the latter site (I've already used it frequently as a signed-in "visitor").

My first search was to see the actual record of the baptism in 1767 (18th October, born 7th August) of Simon Joseph Pool(e), my 3xggrandfather's younger brother (and a twin to Mary). He was baptised in Seavington St Michael and his baptism record is usually transcribed as "Simon" though my 3xggrandfather, baptised 2 years earlier was Simeon ! As you can see the child of 1767 was also Joseph  (which name he used when he was married in Chillington in 1800).

So, I just wanted to see for myself that his baptism record called him Simon, or perhaps Simon Joseph (parents Thomas and Honor)  - the vicar's mistake perhaps because there was a 2-year old running around called Simeon!

But the "image" on FindMyPast is only the transcription and I'm disappointed - unless I'm missing something...

Can anyone clarify for me?
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: I'm probably being thick! FindMyPast disappointment
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 22 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to disappoint you, but Ancestry is the site that has the digitised Somerset parish registers.

I had a look for you and here is what the record says:

Simon and Mary, son & daughter of Thomas Pool and Honor, his wife, was born 7 August and both baptised 18 October.

Queenie  :)

EDIT: I just want to add that I prefer Findmypast to Ancestry in a lot of ways, but for Somerset research, Ancestry is the best.
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 22 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Queenie for looking at the record. And darn!!!

Well no, not really because I daresay I'll find other stuff in due course.

I preferred FindMyPast to Ancestry (free lookups) in the past for the simple reason that even the uk Ancestry site seemed to give you loads of USA records that are totally irrelevant, but if I don't find what I want in the next 3 months for Somerset, I'll go for a short Ancestry subscription. Thanks for the tip.

By the way, the record of Simon Joseph (both names I'm fairly sure) was one of the first I found in 2009 - from the IGI. It also gave the information that the parents "resided at Mead" (which I found to be correct and very helpful in further research) but where did that information come from I wonder, if it's not part of the Seavington record?

Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 October 22 19:01 BST (UK) »
The entry has been altered, with Simon added later. It is possible that only Mary was born on the stated date, but both children baptised. This is very likely the Simon who was born two years earlier, since he was privately baptised at the time. There is no mention of Joseph.

David

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 October 22 19:10 BST (UK) »
The entry has been altered, with Simon added later. It is possible that only Mary was born on the stated date, but both children baptised. This is very likely the Simon who was born two years earlier, since he was privately baptised at the time. There is no mention of Joseph.

David

I thought it may have just been a mistake, but you are probably right.

I've attached the record for teragram.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 October 22 21:21 BST (UK) »

I preferred FindMyPast to Ancestry (free lookups) in the past for the simple reason that even the uk Ancestry site seemed to give you loads of USA records that are totally irrelevant, but if I don't find what I want in the next 3 months for Somerset, I'll go for a short Ancestry subscription.

You can use Ancestry for free in some libraries.
Have you checked if one near you gives you that option?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 22 03:12 GMT (UK) »
As you can see the child of 1767 was also Joseph  (which name he used when he was married in Chillington in 1800).

The name Joseph is not recorded at all.  Why do you think that this Joseph who married in 1800 is a son of Thomas and Honor?

Debra  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 October 22 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to say but I agree with Dundee...

I see Simon & Mary, no mention of Joseph.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Kamante

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 October 22 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Image 59 of 90 in the Seavington St. Michael PR for 1558-1810 (Ancestry) reads: "Simmon ye Son of Thomas Pool and Honour his Wife was born ye 1th of Aprill 1765 and Private baptizd ye 21." Image 60 includes his and Mary's "public" baptism.

There is a burial record (image 11 of 21) in Durleigh Parish, Somerset of 21 January 1848 for Simeon (Simion?) Poole, abode Durleigh, age 83 (calculates to birth in 1765; is this Simmon or Simon of Seavington?).
Willy, Willey, Gifford, England, Fry, Pittard (all in Kingsbury Episcopi Parish, Somerset); Forster (Warkworth, Northumberland; and Isle of Thanet, Kent); & Cartwright & Hancock (Birkenhead, Cheshire)