Author Topic: Identifying the Regiment - John Henry Robinson  (Read 2270 times)

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identifying the Regiment - John Henry Robinson
« on: Sunday 30 October 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »

Could someone please identify the cap badge on the attached photograph?  I believe it is the cap badge of the Royal Pioneer Corps?

All I have of the person in the picture is :  John Henry Robinson DOB: 8 Sep 1920 Thornaby Yorkshire.

I have been led to believe he went by the Christian name of Henry?  I believe he served during WW2 and after the war ended.

Any help appreciated
Keith

Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Hearn - Suffolk, London, Midlands, West Lancashire. Liverpool.
Woodside - Liverpool, Midlands, Scotland, Wigtown.
Petersen/Peterson - Denmark, Hull, Liverpool
King - Hereford - Pencoyd, Monmouth
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying the Regiment - John Henry Robinson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 22 11:15 GMT (UK) »
As you haven't had a reply after a week I'll throw in some observations to see if it helps.
I can't get a clear look at the cap badge and collar dogs but I'd agree that they could be Pioneer Corps, although a few other units do look similar.  The photo is certainly post WW2, as the corporal is wearing WW2 medal ribbons, though which ones are not completely clear.
I admire the creases in his battledress blouse sleeves  :) , very hard to get them that sharp, even when you knew the tricks of it !
My guess would be that this photo was taken some time in the 1950s, although the uniform continued in use until the late 1960s .
Sorry not to be more helpful but hopefully we can gain a bit more attention for you.
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 22 11:52 GMT (UK) »
As you haven't had a reply after a week I'll throw in some observations to see if it helps.
I can't get a clear look at the cap badge and collar dogs but I'd agree that they could be Pioneer Corps, although a few other units do look similar.  The photo is certainly post WW2, as the corporal is wearing WW2 medal ribbons, though which ones are not completely clear.
I admire the creases in his battledress blouse sleeves  :) , very hard to get them that sharp, even when you knew the tricks of it !
My guess would be that this photo was taken some time in the 1950s, although the uniform continued in use until the late 1960s .
Sorry not to be more helpful but hopefully we can gain a bit more attention for you.

MaecW,

Thank you for the update.

It is frustrating trying to make out the medal ribbons and the cap badge, I am going down the route of Pioneer Corps but, there’s always a but, might get 11 Hussars?

Keith
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 22 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Going by his collar dogs, 11 Hussars is a definite possibility, but I don't think so based on the capbadge. The scroll at the base of the badge in the picture is relatively shallow, whereas on the 11th Hussars badge it has two levels. Furthermore in the photograph there appears to be a gap between the main emblem and the scroll, whereas the 11th Hussars badge is solid.  It is almost certainly not R Signals. So Pioneer Corps remains a possibility.

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 22 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Going by his collar dogs, 11 Hussars is a definite possibility, but I don't think so based on the capbadge. The scroll at the base of the badge in the picture is relatively shallow, whereas on the 11th Hussars badge it has two levels. Furthermore in the photograph there appears to be a gap between the main emblem and the scroll, whereas the 11th Hussars badge is solid.  It is almost certainly not R Signals. So Pioneer Corps remains a possibility.

Thanks for the update Andy J2022

Much appreciated…it is looking as though it is a Pioneer Corps cap badge.

It’s interesting he isn’t coming up on the forces war records database

Keith
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 22 13:36 GMT (UK) »
It's interesting he isn't coming up on the forces war records database
Keith
Since his service appears to span both WW2 and the post war period I would not expect his name to necessarily appear on any public database. His service record will still be with the MOD. Sites like FWR tend to only have lists of casualties.
Your best bet is to try the Royal Pioneer Corps Association. Since we are possibly talking about the 1950's it is less likely that any of the current members will have personal memories of him, but the name and photo may jog memories. Unfortunately the Association's online search facility doesn't work, but they do have a database of some those who served with the RPC, which I suspect has much better coverage for the period 1940 onwards. Earlier editions of the Pioneer magazine are available online (in pdf) so if you have lots of time to spare, you could try looking for him there.

Offline liver007

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 November 22 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Keith
Since his service appears to span both WW2 and the post war period I would not expect his name to necessarily appear on any public database. His service record will still be with the MOD. Sites like FWR tend to only have lists of casualties.
Your best bet is to try the Royal Pioneer Corps Association. Since we are possibly talking about the 1950's it is less likely that any of the current members will have personal memories of him, but the name and photo may jog memories. Unfortunately the Association's online search facility doesn't work, but they do have a database of some those who served with the RPC, which I suspect has much better coverage for the period 1940 onwards. Earlier editions of the Pioneer magazine are available online (in pdf) so if you have lots of time to spare, you could try looking for him there.
Keith

Hi Andy J202

I am not at work next Tuesday & Wednesday I will take a look.

Thanks
Keith
Ryan - Liverpool
Tierney - Liverpool
Harvey - Liverpool
Gray - Liverpool

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 20:42 GMT (UK) »
He is not a 11th hussar as the beret is the wrong colour and design.