Author Topic: Violet Catherine Gormley  (Read 465 times)

Offline Rogerh2022

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Violet Catherine Gormley
« on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm looking for birth and family information on a Violet Catherine Gormley. I know that she married a Percival Chapman in 1952 in Bodmin Cornwall and died there in 1989. She was born in Co. Tyrone on 10th June 1932, possibly Omagh. I have searched a number of sites but cannot find any record of her birth or her parents and family. I have even widened the search to cover the whole of the UK, but still no luck. Any help or info would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Violet Catherine Gormley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm looking for birth and family information on a Violet Catherine Gormley. I know that she married a Percival Chapman in 1952 in Bodmin Cornwall and died there in 1989. She was born in Co. Tyrone on 10th June 1932, possibly Omagh. I have searched a number of sites but cannot find any record of her birth or her parents and family. I have even widened the search to cover the whole of the UK, but still no luck. Any help or info would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Births less than 100 years old will not appear on Irish Genealogy nor in GRONI's birth index.
If you know the names of her parents you might find their marriage in GRONI's index (shows marriages more than 75 years old), parents in 1911 and 1901 census, etc.

Do you have at last her father's name from the 1952 marriage?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:53 GMT (UK) »

FreeBDM  MarQ 1952     Bodmin    Vol 7a   page 23
CHAPMAN    Percival    GORMLEY   Violet C

FreeBDM death  1989
CHAPMAN    Violet Catherine  (born) 10 JE 1932    TRURO    Vol 21   page 731

What is your source for this information? -
"born Co. Tyrone on 10th June 1932, possibly Omagh"

Can you please list all the information on the marriage certificate, 1952.......everything please.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Just had a quick look and found this possibility (age is about right for Violet)-

Derry Journal, 29 Sep.1941: MISSING OMAGH SCHOOLGIRLS. Three Days After being missing from their home at Tattyreagh, Omagh, since Thursday last, two schoolgirls, Sheila and Violet Gormley, aged eleven and nine respectively, were discovered yesterday in a secluded spot convenient to their home. The absence of the children had aroused the utmost anxiety and a vigorous search of the district had been pursued since the...

Belfast Newsletter, 29 Sept.1941: THREE DAYS After having been missing from their home at Tattyreagh, Omagh, since Thursday two schoolgirls, Sheila and Violet Gormley, aged 11 and 10, were found by searchers yesterday in a secluded spot not far from their home. Police and others had ...

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 22 11:57 GMT (UK) »

GRONI is the only repository for birth, death and marriage records in what is now Northern Ireland, from 1.1.1922 onwards. (Ancestry and other websites don’t have them).

As Aghadowey has explained, births in Northern Ireland within the past 100 years, marriages within the past 75 and deaths within the past 50 aren’t searchable on-line. They are open to the public, just not on-line. If you know all the key details eg exact date and place of birth, parents names etc, you can order a copy of a certificate from GRONI for £15 (sterling). https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

But if you don’t have all the information, you need to get in touch with them to get a search done.  They will do a 5 year search for £7 and if they find a matching certificate you can purchase it for £8, coming to a total of £15. It will be posted to you a few days later. You pay over the phone using a credit card. You type your number in on the phone keypad. They don’t know what it is.  They won’t deal with these searches and orders by e-mail or post because they need you to type the credit card number in yourself.

Phone: 0300 200 7890 (+44 300 200 7890 from outside the UK)
Elwyn

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 October 22 12:02 GMT (UK) »

Interesting?

FreeBDM  MarQ 1952     Bodmin    Vol 7a   page 23
CHAPMAN    Percival    GORMLEY   Violet C

FreeBDM    DecQ 1953 Bodmin   Vol 7a   page 25
GORMLEY    Arthur J J    marr.  CHAPMAN Betty   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 October 22 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for expanding on my reply, Elwyn.

A bit more-
Irish Weekly and Ulster Examiner [Belfast], 4 Oct.1941: THREE-DAY SEARCH FOR TWO TYRONE CHILDREN FOUND NEAR HOME ... Sheila Gormley, aged 11, and her 9 year-old sister Violet, have been missing from their home at Tattyreagh, Omagh, since 25th ult.. and police and civilians joined in a search in which ...

Tattyreagh is between Omagh & Fintona.
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/east-omagh/drumragh/seskinore/tattyreagh-glebe/

A 1952 article in above newspaper mentions Two sisters, Mary & Sheila Gormley, teachers, whose father also seems to have been a teacher. However, I can't confirm that this is the Sheila Gormley who had a sister Violet.