Author Topic: Two brothers - John George Pringle and George John Pringle, are they the same?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
Two brothers - John George Pringle and George John Pringle are they the same person?

John George Pringle.
Baptised: 5 Jul 1835, St John Wapping. Parents are John and Ann of 5 Newmarket Street, Wapping.

Marriage: 7 Dec 1865, at St. George in the east. Occupation Mariner. Address Cannon Street Road. Father John Pringle. Occupation Master Mariner.
Wife's name Rosina Rawlings.

Birth of Daughter: Eleanor Jane Pringle in 1867,  North Shields, Tynemouth, Northumberland.

Baptism of Daughter: 1 Oct 1871 St.Thomas, Stepney. Address 41 Eastfield Street, Stepney. Parents John and Rosina Pringle

No trace of John George Pringle has been found on any Census. He is not on the 1841 Census as you would expect with his Mother Ann Pringle and his Sister Mary Ann Pringle who are living at Cannon Street Road.

Rosina Pringle  aged 24  occupation Dressmaker  born Stepney and her daughter Eleanor Jane Pringle aged 4 are on the 1871 census at 41 Eastfield Street, they are boarding at this address with her widowed father William Raulings and other Raulings family members.

After this 1871 census all records on this family stop.

Now John has a brother who I have recorded on my tree...

George John Pringle
Baptised 28 Oct 1842, St. George in the East, Tower Hamlets. Parents are John and Ann of Cannon Street. Date of Birth is recorded on Baptism as 1 Oct 1842.

George is recorded as present on the following census returns.
1851 at William Street, Tower Hamlets. Others present,  Mother Ann Pringle 45, Widow,  Sister, Mary Pringle 12, Brother, Frederick Pringle 5.
1861 at 30 North Street, Hastings, Sussex. Others present, Ann Pringle 49, Widow, Frederick Pringle 14,
This pattern of census returns continues.

Marriage:23 Dec 1866 (note: John George Pringle is the name listed but the John looks to have been added as an afterthought)  Age 24. Occupation Plumber. Father John Pringle Occupation Ships Carpenter.
Wife's name Rebecca Ford.

George John and Rebecca ford went on to have 5 children and records are available for this family under Hastings Sussex.

My questions are could these two brothers be the same person?
If not where was John George Pringle as a child and where did he disappear to as an adult?

I have searched for years trying to resolve this but got nowhere anyone have any advice?
PRINGLE.  Middlesex, London
WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
HEDGES. Kent, Essex and Sussex
EATON. Staffordshire

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two brothers - John George Pringle and George John Pringle, are they the same?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 22 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Are these the children from 1851 onwards?
Births registrations
Mary Ann Pringle Jun 1839
George Pringle Dec 1842
Frederick Pringle Dec 1847
all St George in the East mmn Brook

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two brothers - John George Pringle and George John Pringle, are they the same?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 22 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Eleanor J Pringle b 1867 North Shields is a servant in 1891 for Charles T J Haitt, in the Strand.

Marriage Sep 1892 Mile End Old Town  Eleanor Jane Pringle to Lewis or Rowell.

1921 has an Eleanor Jane Lewis, married, b 1866 North Shields living alone in West Ham.

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 22 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Comberton yes thats them in 1851. I know Elizabeth Pringle died and suspect the first born James  Pringle also died but have no proof. see list below.

Parents
John Pringle married Ann Brook 17 Dec 1832 Wapping.

Children:
James Pringle.  Baptised 21 Sep 1833, Wapping home address 5 Newmarket Street Wapping.
John George Pringle. Baptised 5 July 1835, Wapping home address 5 Newmarket Street Wapping.
Mary Ann Pringle. Baptised 7 July 1839, Marmaduke Street.
George John Pringle. Baptised 28 Oct 1842, Cannon Street.
Elizabeth Pringle. Baptised 9 Nov 1845, Marmaduke Street.
Frederick Pringle. Baptised 1 Dec 1847, 15 Cannon Street Road.

I have seen a census of Eleanor J Pringle working as a servant but haven't been able to find it again so thats useful thank you.
I couldn't find any thing to confirm the marriage so got a bit hung up with that but i did see that one.
The 1921 census is new to me so i can look that one up thank you.

That was quick work  :D
PRINGLE.  Middlesex, London
WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
HEDGES. Kent, Essex and Sussex
EATON. Staffordshire