Author Topic: Is John Pringle a brick wall?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is John Pringle a brick wall?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 October 22 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Nennefer,

ShaunJ has just given you the 1835 record I referred to earlier and there-you-go!!! another piece of information. He was aboard the vessel BALTIC MERCHANT which was, quite probably, registered at London.

With a vessel name and a date, I suggest that you try the old newspapers now.

Cheers,
Westoe

EDIT:
This could be the one:
http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/view.php?a1PageSize=5&year_built=&builder=&a1Order=Sorter_ship_list_bld_ref&a1Dir=DESC&a1Page=5&ref=171416&vessel=BALTIC+MERCHANT

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 October 22 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Westoe

You folks have been awesome and i'm feeling a tad overwhelmed. 30+ years i have been waiting and trying to discover the origins and fate of John.

I think i must be being dence though. What would i gain from looking for the Baltic Merchant in the newspapers?
PRINGLE.  Middlesex, London
WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
HEDGES. Kent, Essex and Sussex
EATON. Staffordshire

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 October 22 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Well ..... erm ... family history is about more than names and dates. It's also about life experiences; where he travelled, what his work experience was etc.etc.

Anyway, perhaps the newspaper suggestion is premature, because there were, no doubt, multiple vessels of that name in this period. I've got a bit more on the specific one to which I posted a link in the last post.

That BALTIC MERCHANT was registered in London in 1811 and probably a few years beyond that, but from 1819 until her loss in 1842, she was registered on the River Tyne as per the reference book "Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships" by Richard Keys. In 1835 she was in the timber trade, mostly to Canada.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 October 22 18:54 GMT (UK) »
That is so interesting. I will do some more research on it. Such a shame they didn't include the name of the ship on which he died. Still in time more info may come to light. Thank you.
WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
EATON. Staffordshire

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nennefer, great finds on John Pringle from others on this forum.

I am going to add some more information for you to consider -

John Pringle was born in 1804 in St Andrews to James Pringle and Elizabeth Carstairs that fact we have established.
His parents James and Elizabeth were married on 24/5/1799 in St Andrews.
Elizabeth died in 1860 aged 89 in St Andrews. A widow.
There is a birth for Elizabeth Carstairs on 3/8/1771 with parents William Carstairs and Isabella Brown same as on her death certificate.

These are from scotlandspeople and are original entries in the Old Parish Registers.

Not having any luck so far with finding a birth or death record for James Pringle but I will continue searching and see if anything relevant can be found.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dorrie,
Thank you so much, I can't say how nice it is to have some help with this. Of all my families the Pringles have been my nemesis over the years so it feels good to make some progress at last.

I have managed to find the marriage of James to Elizabeth Carstairs, but all the rest is new to me.
I am new to using FindMyPast so a little slow on getting my head around it. Does scotlandspeople  require a subscription? I will take a look.

Thank you for the information on the birth and death details for Elizabeth. I will take a look at those.
I have found with this family the men tend to be very elusive and hard to trace.
                                                                                                                     Jenny
WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
EATON. Staffordshire

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jenny. Sites such as Find My Past and others are very good but the Scottish Records are transcriptions not the original hand written entries. Sometimes you get that little bit extra information on the originals.These are only found on scotlandspeople. It is not a subscription site but you register and then buy batches of credits. It costs £7.50 for 30 credits and £10 for 40 credits. For each record you look at you use 6 credits. Not expensive really. You can download the record. Hope I have explained this properly.

On John's Birth Entry in 1804 his father James is a hairdresser and on Elizabeth's Death Certificate she is the widow of a barber. Hence the connection I made.

I have sent you a personal message regarding the information I found and if you reply to me through the PM's we can take it from there.

Best wishes,

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Margow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's People is a pay-per-view site, not a subscription site. 

You may wish to check out the following St Andrews records, all available to view on Scotland's People at a modest cost.
Death of James Pringle (Hairdresser) on 26 January 1832
Birth of James Pringle, son of John Pringle (Barber & Perriwig Maker) and Elizabeth Wright on 14 March 1764
Marriage of John Pringle and Elzabeth Wright in September 1760

Margow

Offline Nennefer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Samson Hedges
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I hope you all know what a wonderful bunch you are.
I have purchased some credits on ScotlandsPeople and am downloading copies as fast as i can. I am astounded at the detail included on the Scotish records, It's just wonderful. :D

Im so excited i can't tell you.

WELLS. Norwich, Norfolk
EATON. Staffordshire