Author Topic: Ballywinnett Townland in the Shankill civil parish  (Read 364 times)

Offline Phil Donnelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ballywinnett Townland in the Shankill civil parish
« on: Monday 31 October 22 21:22 GMT (UK) »

I have an ancestor who appears in the Tithe Applotment list 1826 for Shankill Parish County Antrim as
Gilmore, Wm. Townland : Ballywinnett Year: 1826
But I can find no trace of any Townland named either Ballywinnett or Bally Winnett.
I've looked in Townlands.ie and Googled without success.
Has any one any other suggestions ?
Philip

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballywinnett Townland in the Shankill civil parish
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 22 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Ballywonard?

Have you looked for other names there in 1826 to see if you can locate where they lived?
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/belfast-parish.php
Bigger, Mathew Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
Bigger, Samuel Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
Bigger, William Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
Burney, John Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
Burney, Widow Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
Gaffen, Hugh Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
Gilmore, Wm. Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
McIlheggan, Nathl. Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
McMullen, Jas. Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
Russell, John Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826
Smith, John Townland: Ballywinnett Year: 1826

Also mentioned here-
https://archive.org/stream/historyoftownofb00benn/historyoftownofb00benn_djvu.txt
That  the  Churche  in  the  Towne  of  Belfast  bee  continued  a  Parrish Churche  where  it  is,  and  that  the  Three  Townes  of  Ballycloughly, Ballyfinnoghy,  and  Dunmurry  now  of  the  Parrish  of  Drumbeg  be added  to  the  said  Parrish  of  Belfast  to  all  intents  and  purposes,  and that  in  lew  thereof  the  Townes  of  Bally coustan,  Ballybought,  and  the halfe  towne  of  Ballywinnett  now  of  Belfast  Parrish  be  hereafter separated  from  it  in  regard  they  lye  above  three  myles  distant  from the  churche  of  Belfast."

Just before posting this reply I found the following snippet which confirms my initial guees-
Belfast Commercial Chronicle, 18 Nov.1839: ... which said springs, streams, rivulets, and rivers, are situate the Townland of Ballywonard, otherwise Ballywinnett, Ballyvaston, and Ballybought, in the Parish of _, otherwise Shankhill, and Carnmoney, Giengormly, ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 02:07 GMT (UK) »
further to aghadowey's reply on https://www.townlands.ie/antrim/belfast-lower/shankill/ballysillan/ballywonard/

from placenamesni . org accessed via https://www.ulsterplacenamesociety.org/the-project
Ballywonard forms the north-western corner of the parish of Shankill and includes the well-known route intersection known as Sandyknowes roundabout. The Ordnance Survey Name Book for the parish of Shankill (c.1830) remarks that Ballywonard, Ballybought and Ballyvaston were collectively known as the 'High Towns', hence the name of the Hightown Road which runs through Ballyvaston and Ballybought.

Historical Forms: B:winnit 1780 source Lendrick's map of Co. Antrim, 1780, PRONI T1971/1.
just visible under the FA & Carnmoney on ANT-Southeast-GJ-01 of Grand Jury Maps on https://www.lbrowncollection.com/ireland-grand-jury-maps-antrim/

Title Applotments, as you are likely aware, before the standardisation of Townland names by the Ordnance Survey during their mapping, name books and consultation with the locals during the 1st edition survey 1832-46.

https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/tithe-applotment-books.html
"It wasn't until the 1840s that the names of Irish townlands started to become standardised. In some areas, the townland name used in the tithe books has disappeared, been changed or simply spelled quite differently. Or it may have been absorbed into an adjoining parish..."

Offline Phil Donnelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for this very useful information aghadowey and Jon_ni
So Ballywinnett was near Carnmoney. I had hoped to make a family connection between Wm. Gilmore there in 1826 and John Gilmore in Divis Townland in the later Griffiths Valuation but given the separation of the two areas perhaps not.

I wasn’t aware of the PRONI TAB records for NI. These could be very useful given they may include area in acres and the land assessment grade which would help correlate plots with holdings in the later Griffiths.
I have downloaded three large PRONI Tithe PDF lists for Shankill but no luck so far as all three files are corrupted.  I’ll try again later.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Phil
The files are likely not corrupted, though you may get a message saying they are from Adobe. If I recall is only the biggest files and workaround is to right click on them and open with something else eg Chrome or Firefox web browsers.

Offline Phil Donnelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Phil
The files are likely not corrupted, though you may get a message saying they are from Adobe. If I recall is only the biggest files and workaround is to right click on them and open with something else eg Chrome or Firefox web browsers.

Thanks Jon_ni
I think I can see what's going on now - opening a link in Edge starts a download of pdf to the PC hard drive.
But the downloaded pdf can't be opened.
But as you suggested - same action in Firefox opens up the pdf in the browser window without problems.
But if I want a copy on my PC and try to download from the browser window, I get a pdf file the same corrupted file problem.
Perhaps proni would prefer we don't have personal copies?
Anyhow, I can see Wm. Gilmore at Ballywinnett now - he had 5 acres and had to pay 3/- tax p.a. on it

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Think you are opening in Firefox from temporary folder but as mentioned above should be able to right click on your already downloaded pdf file, saved on your hard drive, with your mouse and open it with Firefox (rather than your default program eg Adobe Acrobat). Smaller files do not have this issue and open fine with Adobe.
Note: I havn't tried recently with a big file, going from memory of when they were released 2020, many experienced the same problem and kept trying to re-download. Trying with the Co. Armagh ones on my drive only those over 300 MB have the issue. Firefox on my PC is selected under Choose another App & More Apps but all work apart from Adobe which says "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired"

Offline Phil Donnelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 15:31 GMT (UK) »
.......Choose another App & More Apps but all work apart from Adobe which says "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired"
Yes, I get the same error message.
Your workaround works beautifully though!
I never would have thought of it.
Thanks very much