Author Topic: Thomas Symmons  (Read 772 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Symmons
« on: Tuesday 01 November 22 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, found a Thomas Symmons bap. 5/5/1799 from St. Edmond West Kingsdown Kent parents Thomas and Lydia Woodger, the other children are very similiar with this family line, Agnes 1792 Phillis 1796 William 1794 all from West Kingsdown. When Thomas Symmons or Simmonds married Hannah Long in 1823 Maidstone Kent the first names were repeated down the line to a Phillis Lydia Simmonds who then married Frederick Hodge (Storekeeper) when he arrived in N.S.W. on the 21/6/1858 Lawrence N.S.W. I am now searching for the parents of Thomas. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-[

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Symmons
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan ,
As the Banns and Marriage cert. both state,he was of this Parish. It looks like your Hannah's husband Thomas Simmons was the Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Simmons Born on 6 August 1809 and Baptized at All Saints Church, Maidstone on 11th of August 1809.
Source. FindMyPast. Rog  :)

PS:-If you are looking for parents of Lydia's husband Thomas who were both of Addington. The only baptisms that I can see for Thomas's in that area that fit are 2. 1 with son of a travelling women 04 Apr 1744 and 1 with son of a traveller shown 06 Apr 1766.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning grandarog thank for your help, I think the baptism of Thomas Symmonds would be too late as he died September 1849 at Maidstone Kent. I had a look at the other record of Thomas's parents being from Addington Kent but the parents only had a son Jerimiah and later a daughter, this family is very hard so many other researches have different entries, and records. One entry had Thomas Simmonds being in gaol, most of the family came from Week Street Maidstone they were Flint Gun workers. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-X

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 15:25 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has the marriage (image/transcript) by banns on 23 Aug 1790, of a Thomas Simmons (entered in the register with an "i"), bachelor and Lyddy Woodger, spinster, both of Addington. Thomas signs the register as Thomas Symmons (with a "y") and Lyddy made her mark. Witnesses were William Hills and Lydia Price.

FindMyPast has the baptism (image/transcript)
"Thomas, son of James and Martha Simmons was baptized 16 July 1769" The place of baptism was West Kingsdown, St. Edmund.

Lydia Woodger proving more elusive - trying to make sense of a Woodger baptism, with no given name, in Leybourne 1767/1768.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 15:38 GMT (UK) »
These appear to be possible siblings to the Thomas, 16 Jul1769, previously posted - showing how the surname varied

FindMyPast baptisms (transcripts only)
John Symonds, 17 Nov 1771, place Ash next Ridley, church St. Peter and St. Paul, parents James and Martha
Mary Simmonds, 1 May 1774, place Ash next Ridley, church St. Peter and St. Paul, parents James and Martha

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 17:49 GMT (UK) »
FreeReg has the baptism of a -
Lydia Woodger, 14 Mar 1767, place Fawkham, St. Mary the Virgin, father Js Woodger.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Good morning to all, thanks a lot for your help. I found that the children from Addington was a Jeremiah son, no Thomas. The family from St. Edmond West Kingsdown Kent the children Agnes 1792 Phillis 1796 and William 1794 and Thomas 1799 this fits in with the generation down the line, when Thomas married Hannah Long, their children named the same. I will have another look later. :-[

Regards,
Janet :-\