Author Topic: Aberdeen trawl fishing boat named "Heilan Laddie"  (Read 268 times)

Offline Silent Night

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aberdeen trawl fishing boat named "Heilan Laddie"
« on: Tuesday 01 November 22 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm told that the "Heilan Laddie" was a trawl fishing boat that worked out of Aberdeen, travelling to the Icelandic fishing grounds, around the early to mid 1960s. 

I've tried but been unable to discover anything more about this vessel and that led me to wonder if there are any searchable records relating to trawl fishing boats, perhaps even their crews, dating to those times.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aberdeen trawl fishing boat named "Heilan Laddie"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 08:54 GMT (UK) »
All I can see in the Aberdeen papers could well be a red herring, The Evening Express of 15-5-1961 reports that the Highland Lady was reported to have put out a distress call off the Norfolk coast. It turned out that the vessel was a private motor cruiser called Hielan Laddie, of Goole. The Aberdeen vessel Highland Lady had left for the Icelandic fishing grounds some days earlier.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Spelt slightly differently but a possible?
https://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha?shipsearch=HEIRLAN+LADDIE&SearchType=Exact&submit=search

Cathy
Added.. possibly not, a newspaper report of 1965 describes the Heirlan Laddie as a "chartered Press boat" owned by an Eddie Rea.
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Spelt slightly differently but a possible?
https://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha?shipsearch=HEIRLAN+LADDIE&SearchType=Exact&submit=search

Cathy
Added.. possibly not, a newspaper report of 1965 describes the Heirlan Laddie as a "chartered Press boat" owned by an Eddie Rea.

Must be the boat from Goole mentioned in my post above.