Author Topic: Lock/Locke, Palmer and Beves clarification needed  (Read 524 times)

Offline Oneday

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lock/Locke, Palmer and Beves clarification needed
« on: Tuesday 01 November 22 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I would like your opinions on the information listed below and following questions:

This information has been compiled from a few family trees and research.  I have tried to be as clear as I can with the details:

Elizabeth Palmer baptised in Lyme Regis in 1718, 1723 & 1727 all indicating their fathers' name is John Palmer.  (3 different people)

Mathew/Matthew Lock/Locke born about 1820 Lyme Regis (one record found for this)

Elizabeth Palmer married Matthew Lock in Lyme Regis in 1746
Elizabeth Lock married John Beves in Lyme Regis in 1756
Matthew Lock married Anna Smith in Charmouth Dorset in 1756

Elizabeth Palmer deceased in Powerstock, Dorset 1754
Elizabeth Lock deceased in Lyme Regis 1802 (spouse - Mathew Lock)

There are a few other Elizabeth Palmers born around the same time but I've only included the Lyme Regis births with a father of John at this point.

There are also birth records with the name of the spouse listed as Betty Lock.

My questions are:

Which Elizabeth Palmer do you think married Mathew Lock.

Is the Elizabeth Lock who married John Beves Mathews' ex wife.

Is Mathew Lock who married Anna Smith the same Mathew lock who married Elizabeth Palmer.

The Elizabeth Palmer who died in 1754 - why would the death be recorded under her maiden name  if the record fits?

Is the Elizabeth Lock who died in 1802 whose spouse is listed as Mathew the correct death.

If you need anything further clarified, I will do my best but records are limited thus far.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lock/Locke, Palmer and Beves clarification needed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

People didn't have "ex-wives" in those days. Divorce would have been out of reach for everyone except the upper classes, so if Matthew was still alive, Elizabeth would not have married again (excluding the outside possibility of bigamy, I suppose). I looked at the marriage between Elizabeth and John Beves, but it does not say whether she is a spinster or a widow.

The Matthew Lock who married Anne Smith is described as "of Catherston Leweston." Again, there is no mention of 'bachelor' or 'widower'.

The Elizabeth Lock death in 1802 seems likely to be hers. I have seen the image of the parish register and she is described as the widow of Matthew Lock, with an age of 75 provided (giving her an estimated birth year of 1727). There is a Matthew Lock Sr., who died the year before, who is likely to be her husband. An age of 90 is given for Matthew Lock, which makes him born c.1711, but this is likely a few years out.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lock/Locke, Palmer and Beves clarification needed
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 22 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There is also a burial for Mathew Lock over at Charmouth 13 Mar 1868 ,so two Mathew Locks not one man with two wives.

Ciderdrinker