Author Topic: First World War Canadian Soldier formally identified  (Read 2402 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
First World War Canadian Soldier formally identified
« on: Wednesday 02 November 22 17:41 GMT (UK) »
The remains of Private (Pte) Harry Atherton (born Leigh Lancashire 1893) were formally identified by the Canadian Armed Forces Casualty Identification Program following the recovery of remains and artefacts by the CWGC during a munitions clearing operation north of Lens, France.

https://www.cwgc.org/our-work/news/first-world-war-canadian-soldier-formally-identified/

On 11 July 2017, human skeletal remains were discovered during a munitions clearing process near rue Léon Droux in Vendin-le-Vieil, France. An insignia of the 10th Battalion and an illegible identification disc were found with the remains by the CWGC Recovery Unit. The identification disc was sent to the Canadian Conservation Institute where they were able to clean it. After the cleaning process, “10 BATT” was clearly visible at the bottom of the identification disc. The numbers “4 - - 658” showed a service number and on the upper right border of the disc, “ON” was visible. This information greatly helped the identification process.

Pvt (Pte) Harry Atherton gives the Canadian Armed Forces chance to provide him with a proper burial and a final resting place.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: FIRST WORLD WAR CANADIAN SOLDIER FORMALLY IDENTIFIED
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Very touching, Sandra.  Thank you for sharing.

I wonder if he had any family members who wondered about him.  Although it’s been a long time, surely they must now feel comforted and they, too, can be at peace.

My mum lost her cousin, presumably at sea, during WWII; he was 26 years old.  His plane was never found.  Although I didn’t know him, mum shared stories about his immense sense of humour, their family gatherings, etc.  I have several family photos. I find a bit of my own peace knowing that he has not been forgotten as his story has been passed down to my sons. One son periodically searches the internet for any updates.

I hope those who are involved in the process Sandra posted realize how much it means to families.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 20:26 GMT (UK) »

CWGC usually carry out extensive investigations to find blood relatives so that they can be present at the re-dedication service.  However, this it isn't always possible to find a near enough blood relative.
I looked thru census and he did have one sister, Elizabeth born 1894 but there was also a death in 1921.  Six anc trees never went beyond 1911 with Elizabeth's details.

It is great that these men are not forgotten especially after a century of lying undiscovered in this case.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, all  remains are most respectfully dealt with.
Some farmers are not so keen to have their work of ploughing etc delayed .
I am not sure if there is a sort of bounty ,so some repayment for lost time etc..when they report they have found remains.

How sad that so many parents and family members for the most part never got to where their relative was buried.
There is no closure in that situation , how heartbreaking.
Viktoria.

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Amazing, 104 years and now found. Thanks for sharing Sandra.

With gratitude, RiP Harry. Your family may not have been found (yet), but you were laid to rest with your comrades, there is comfort in that.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 November 22 07:09 GMT (UK) »

I appreciate you posting this, Sandra.  Thank you.

My mum lost her cousin, presumably at sea, during WWII; he was 26 years old.  His plane was never found.  Although I didn’t know him, mum shared stories about his immense sense of humour, their family gatherings, etc.  I have several family photos. I find a bit of my own peace knowing that he has not been forgotten as his story has been passed down to my sons. One son periodically searches the internet for any updates.

Lisa, (and any Canadian who have lost a Service Member with no known grave), I strongly
recommend you register with the Canadian Casualty Identification Program.

He, or his plane, may be found many decades from now, and the photos you have may not survive.

To read about the work they do:
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/casualty-identification-military/casualty-identification-program.html

Where to register:
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/casualty-identification-military/register-missing-military-family.html

Browse the pages they have made for the ones found:
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/casualty-identification-military/identified-casualties.html

Note that you can't attach photos in the registration form; just let them know you have photos, and there is an online contact link at the bottom of the page to ask where to submit them to.
You may not hear back from them, but your info will be stored for the future.

Sorry if I sound like an advertisement, but these folks are pretty [expletive] dedicated, and relatively unknown.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 November 22 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Sandra, sorry about hijacking your thread.

Bbart, I will definitely look at the sites; thank you so much for mentioning them.  A relative must have contacted veterans.gc.ca at some point as they have a few photos and newspaper write-ups about my mum’s cousin.

I was blessed to have known his father.  He, too, had a wonderful sense of humour even though he lost his young wife after the birth of their first child and then lost his only child 26 years later.  He raised his son with the help of his unmarried sister. I think my love of playing board games comes from spending time with my brother, mum and great uncle. 
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: First World War Canadian Soldier formally identified
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 November 22 19:52 GMT (UK) »
No problem Lisa, great to see you back on RootsChat.

Hope you can find out more info re your Mum's cousin.  Was he not listed on the database for WW2 service files of the war dead 1939 - 1947 ?

Sandra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: First World War Canadian Soldier formally identified
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 November 22 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra.  It’s been a longtime since we last chatted.

Sandra, sorry about hijacking your thread.

No problem Lisa, great to see you back on RootsChat.

Hope you can find out more info re your Mum's cousin.  Was he not listed on the database for WW2 service files of the war dead 1939 - 1947 ?

Sandra

Just to clarify for everyone in case it came across the wrong way (which can be quite typical of me), I was talking about me hijacking the thread, not about bbart’s reply.  I really appreciate her wonderful links!

The only thing we don’t know about mum’s cousin is where his plane went down. He is listed on at least one website.  Link in case anyone else is searching for details about their loved ones:
https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial

One group, the name escapes me at the moment, was trying to follow up on missing aircraft(?) so I know that there is still hope for finding our missing loved ones.

Sandra, I’ve seen you’ve been busy helping others; RootsChat has a lot of wonderful people.  :)
———————————————
Where to register:
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/military-history/history-heritage/casualty-identification-military/register-missing-military-family.html

Update: I filled out the form. Thank you again, bbart.  :)