Author Topic: What does this say  (Read 445 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does this say
« on: Wednesday 02 November 22 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Trying to work out what the description of relationship of Ann Evans is in the attached. It is something daughter but not sure what. Any ideas? Thanks

Offline ajm314159

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: What does this say
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Married
Malton (London)
Eades (Somerset)
Johnson (Wimborne, East Dorset)
Hopkins (Roxburgh., Yorks.)
Kidd (Westmoreland)
Lake (East Cambridgeshire)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Married

I doubt it - she's 5 years old!  I note she's listed as grand daughter in 1861, and when she marries she calls William Stephens her father. Some sort of complication here

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Married

I doubt it - she's 5 years old!  I note she's listed as grand daughter in 1861, and when she marries she calls William Stephens her father. Some sort of complication here

Mmm! See what you mean, therefore either and adopted or illegitimate daughter I am guessing

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I think it says;   "Natural Daughter"

The man and his wife are 47 years old, which could be the reason for this remark.  Or could the 16 year old girl have had a baby when she was eleven years old?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I think it says;   "Natural Daughter"

The man and his wife are 47 years old, which could be the reason for this remark.  Or could the 16 year old girl have had a baby when she was eleven years old?

Thanks, that would fit, as Natural I believe was a euphemism for Illegitimate

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 22:16 GMT (UK) »
There is an older daughter in the family on 1841 who would be a better candidate. But for the child to be Evans, there's be a marriage so natural daughter wouldn't work  (or that's just the father's surname  being used without marriage). Granddaughter would be better. Similarly if it's an illegitimate child of the older sons who've left home by 1851

Unless William actually is the father and his wife is bringing up someone else's child

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 22:23 GMT (UK) »
There is an older daughter in the family on 1841 who would be a better candidate. But for the child to be Evans, there's be a marriage so natural daughter wouldn't work  (or that's just the father's surname  being used without marriage). Granddaughter would be better. Similarly if it's an illegitimate child of the older sons who've left home by 1851

Unless William actually is the father and his wife is bringing up someone else's child

The marriage entry does have William Stephens as her father. Therefore I am leaning towards an Unknown Evans having a daughter Ann Evans with William Stephens. Normally in such instances they would just “adopt” the Stephens surname but perhaps his wife objected! Therefore, I am thinking the 1861 description of her as a granddaughter is a smokescreen, but who knows for definite!

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 23:15 GMT (UK) »
The image on FindMyPast is better. It reads Nursed Daughter.

She was probably taken into the family originally as a nurse-child and stayed on with them. Maybe not a relative at all?