Author Topic: Help with Holroyds  (Read 322 times)

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Holroyds
« on: Friday 04 November 22 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to sort out my husband's Yorkshire family and finding it difficult because there are so many people with the same surname and given name in the area.

Elizabeth Holroyd married Levi Lumb on 2 Sep 1838 in Elland, Yorkshire. She says her father is William Howard, a mason, and her name is Elizabeth Howard. Yes, HOWARD. Not sure why. She signs with an X. I know she is a Holroyd because her mother, Mary, and a couple of siblings are living with Levi and Elizabeth in Elland (or vice versa) in the 1841 census.

Mary is also living with Elizabeth and Levi in 1851.

I am trying to figure out which William and Mary Holroyd are Elizabeth's parents. In some trees I see Mary Gill and William Holroyd. I had the 1807 Elland marriage of William Holroyd and Mary Barrand assigned to the couple, but now I am not so sure because I don't think their first child was born until 1813 (although there is a William and Hannah Holroyd living with the Lumbs in 1841, and it looks like William is 35, which could work). Next door there is also a James Holroyd, but I don't know if he is related.

The name Holroyd is super popular in the area, as is Lumb. I have also struggled to identify Levi Lumb's parents because there are multiple Levi Lumbs born to John Lumbs in the same area! Go figure.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Holroyds
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 22 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps further confusing matters, I found the marriage of William Holroyd to Hannah Barron in 1838 (seems to fit the couple living with the Lumbs and Mary Holroyd, Elizabeth Holroyd Lumb's mother), and he lists his father as John Holroyd.  ???

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 22 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Daughter Ellen was b September qtr 1839 - mmn Holroyde

Son Levi Dec qtr 1841 - mmn Holroyde

Freebmd - Marriages September qtr 1838 - Levi Lumb & on same page is Elizabeth Holroyde which means whoever transcribed it on freebmd saw it as Holroyde

The name on the marriage cert appears at first glance to say Howard & Lumb could even be mistaken for Lunt at first glance.  Elizabeth signed X so I think whoever wrote the name on the cert wrongly interpreted Holroyd for Howard. 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 22 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Her christening is Holroyd
Elizabeth d of William and Mary H. mason of Stainland at St Mary Elland 10.8.1817
Brother Edmund 11.7.1813 with same details.
John 8.6.1808 bapt 3.7.1808 of Stainland.
That 1807  marriage looks good .

The mother in law buried at Elland 24 Oct 1852 age 63 so born 1788
possible baptism for William Holroyd 13.8.1787 s of William

Looking at the 1841 census William and Hannah Holroyd I found this at Elland 12.8.1838

William Holroyd 32 cropper Stainland s of John cropper
Hannah Barron (makes mark) 31 Stainland d of William Holroyd mason
wit James Brearley and Amos Crowther.
So we have the right marriage but waht is going on with the children's surnames?

ps the John and Ben on the 1851 are children of Edmund and Mary and William and Nanny ,so grandchildren of Mary the mother in law.

Ciderdrinker

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 22 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Possible burial of William Holroyd, husband of Mary Holroyd on the '41 Census, age 50?

FindMyPast (transcripts only)
William Holroyd, age 50, 4 Apr 1841, abode Halfpenny Cann, church St Anne in the Grove, Southowram.

Mary is at Far Sowood in '41 - yet to spot a "Halfpenny Cann" (or similar) in that locale.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 22 16:54 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has 3 marriage records (2 transcripts, 1 image) for William Holroyd and Ann Gill. Unusually, one of the transcripts has the groom's occupation as "Weaver."

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 22 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Re the Mary Gill marriage FindMyPast has the baptismal image/transcripts for -

"1 Nov 1812, John Gill Holroyd, of Will'm and Mary Holroyd, Hx, weaver". Baptismal place Halifax St Johns.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 November 22 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Had a good look and found a baptism for Mary at Elland
Molly Barran d of William of Stainland 23 Oct 1785
Molly was an alternative for Mary .

I can't see a marriage or siblings ,sorry

Ciderdrinker

Offline hilarykellis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 November 22 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Had a good look and found a baptism for Mary at Elland
Molly Barran d of William of Stainland 23 Oct 1785
Molly was an alternative for Mary .

I can't see a marriage or siblings ,sorry

Ciderdrinker

Thank you for this. I think the reason her daughter was called Hannah Barron might be because she was born before Mary/Molly Barran and her husband William Holroyd were legally married. Therefore Hannah is Mary's child, not Hannah's husband William Holroyd as I thought originally. That explains why John Holroyd is listed as William's father on his marriage cert, not William Holroyd who was actually Hannah's dad.

I am guessing Hannah's husband might be a cousin of hers. A bit ick, but not that uncommon then from what I've seen. I have a few first or 2nd cousin marriages in my tree. 

I haven't found Hannah Barron's (aka Holroyd) baptism yet but I also think the family were non-conformists so I may need to broaden my search. I really appreciate you finding this baptism, it looks right for her.