Author Topic: Seeking information on Fin(n)egan and Kirley family, Lisdoonan  (Read 689 times)

Offline family hedge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking information on Fin(n)egan and Kirley family, Lisdoonan
« on: Saturday 05 November 22 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information (and appreciate your help) on the Finnegan and Ward connections round Lisdoonan. On the Finnegan side, Patrick Finnegan, Monalia, married Alice Kirley, Beagh??, on 31st July 1886. Witnesses (as far as I can read) were Owen Kirley and Catherine Ward. Patrick's father was Peter Finnegan, farmer, and Alice's father was Thomas Kirley, farmer. They had at least one son John, born on 10th June 1902, but possibly more family that I haven't yet found. Some of the records from the time are very difficult to read (particularly the Raferagh ones). This John married Bridget Ward, Lisdoonan, on 18th August 1927. Their graves are in Lisdoonan, up behind the Church on the left. Can anyone help if these people are on your tree. Thanks so much. 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking information on Fin(n)egan and Kirley family, Lisdoonan
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 22 13:39 GMT (UK) »

On the Finnegan side, Patrick Finnegan, Monalia, married Alice Kirley, Beagh??, on 31st July 1886. Witnesses (as far as I can read) were Owen Kirley and Catherine Ward. Patrick's father was Peter Finnegan, farmer, and Alice's father was Thomas Kirley, farmer. 

Heywood just beat me to it!

Here's the link-
Marriage 31st July 1888

Patrick living in Monalia, Alice living in Beagh (just to the west).
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/farney/donaghmoyne/crossalare/monalia/
https://www.townlands.ie/monaghan/farney/donaghmoyne/crossalare/beagh/

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5678855#map=13/54.0310/-6.7264

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline family hedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 22 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Oh thank you, I appreciate that. As I'm not entirely familiar with the area (though I noticed Beagh and Monalia are quite close, and in that era many people married locally), and there are SO MANY Finnegans.....I got stumped. At the minute I'm at the pen and sheet of paper stage ruling people in and out. As far as I remember the headstone is a family memorial, not individual names. Thanks again.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline family hedge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 22 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, it started me finding 9 of the ten children of Patrick Finnegan and Alice Kirley - missing one, but seems to have died young. I have also found some of their marriages, so you've really helped me tease this out. I'll have a start at the Ward family as I go along, however the headstone doesn't yield a lot of information (yet).