Author Topic: Lookup request - Mitchell Library  (Read 265 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Lookup request - Mitchell Library
« on: Sunday 06 November 22 11:01 GMT (UK) »
If any one happens to be going to the archives in the Mitchell Library and would be willing to look up one person for me in the Poor Law records, I would be interested in all available information about John Gray, who was an inmate in the Barony Poor House in 1871, a scholar, aged 11.

This is what I have so far
30 March 1851: John Gray, son, aged 9, born Eastwood, in household of Henry Gray, coach driver, born Ireland, and his wife Ann (?Walker), along with numerous other children
18 February 1860: John Gray, illegitimate son of Susan Gray, residing New Wynd, Glasgow, born in City Poors House, Glasgow.
7 April 1861: John Gray Gray, 1, born Glasgow, in household of Henery Gray, coachman, born Ireland, and his wife Ann (?Walker), along with several children of Hen(e)ry and Ann.
2 April 1861: John Gray, 11, scholar, born Glasgow, is an inmate in Barony Poor House
30 April 1880: John Gray, slater, parents John Gray, freestone quarrier, and Susan Macdonald, marries my relative Robina Stewart in Glasgow
5 April 1891: John Gray, slater, 41, born Glasgow, is in Shettleston with wife Robina and three sons: John, 12; James, 3; Hector, 1.
12 July 1923: John Gray, 63 slater, married to Robina Stewart, dies in Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Parents John Gray, stone quarryman, and Susan Gray, maiden surname Macdonald. Informant R Gray, widow.

I'm not interested in the rest of the family of Henry and Ann Gray, as they are not related to me, but I would like to know if I am on the right track and all these John Grays (other than the one in the 1851 census) are the same person.

Update: I have now learned that John Gray, son of Henry Gray and Ann Walker, the one in the 1851 census, died in 1857 aged 16, so he has nothing to do with the husband of Robina Stewart.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.