Author Topic: Masterson family Westmeath-link with Wexford Mastersons of Ferns  (Read 250 times)

Offline ajmasterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Masterson family Westmeath-link with Wexford Mastersons of Ferns
« on: Monday 07 November 22 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Currently trying to understand how (and if) the Mastersons of North Westmeath are related the the Wexford Mastersons of Ferns. Stories within the family tell of Mastersons moving north to the Midlands possibly via Laois some time in the early 1600, having already been, or later becoming Roman Catholic. The family story goes that our ancestor was a younger son who married a Catholic, having been dispossessed during the Cromwellian period. I note that Many of the branches of the Masterson in Wexford regained land in some shape of form except for Patrick (see below). none seem to have been transplanted West.  What is interesting is that in Granard, Co. Longford in the 1650 census, 9 (Celtic Irish) Masterson families are listed. So far, I have been unable to connect these families with the various Mastersons in and around North Westmeath. 

I note that there were already Catholic Mastersons in the early 18th C in Wexford (Marie, born the Patrick Masterson and Catherine Jolous/Jolus in 1709) and a Patrick Masterson was dispossessed in the 1650's having farmed land with Redmond Roch and Jasper Synnott, though he himself was listed as Protestant.

I have found 2 Mastersons (Edward and Edmond) in Tankardstown parish, Laois, who were transported in the 1650; they rented farms from the Hovenden/Graham families which fit at least that family story. I cannot locate them after this period (in Western counties that is, though I don't know where their transplantation certificates were issued). If they are our Mastersons, they may have moved north to Westmeath instead of West.

The Mastersons of Likblea, Westmeath first appear in (RC) burial records in the 1764 (Hugh) followed by John, Edmond, Margery and Walter. The family established  themselves close to Castlepollard and farmed with a combined acreage over 3 family farms of about 250 acres until recently.

Any thoughts would be welcome, particularly if there are any Wexford Mastersons reading this with any family intel on possible land loss, conversion and move to the Midlands.

Kind regards,

Allan