Author Topic: Help with census entry - Gerty Wilcox and siblings  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with census entry - Gerty Wilcox and siblings
« on: Monday 07 November 22 15:52 GMT (UK) »
There are 3 children living at 38 New Road Waunarlwydd recorded in the 1891 Wales Census -

William Wilcox 11 years, Gerty Wilcox 10 years, and Annie Wilcox 8 years

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:H94T-VW2

The above entry is from Familysearch.org and the three children are listed without an adult in the household. I can find no trace of the parents in the 1891 census, is it possible they were left off the census record in error?

Ancestry has the three Wilcox children attached to a Phillips family living at 39 New Road, Waunarlwydd.  I have been researching the Phillips family for a while trying to find a link between the Phillps family and the Wilcox children without success, but after re-reading the Census page today (after leaving it for a while) it appears the 3 children are living at 38 New Road with no adult in the household.  The Phillips family is recorded on the previous page and possibly has no connection to the Willcocks/Wilcox (various spelling throughout).

The full names of the 3 children are -

William Frederick Wilcox b.1879 South Molton Devon - GRO Index has mother's maiden name, Evans

Gertrude Amanda Wilcox b. 9 December1881 Rhydymardy, Llandilotalybont - Mother's maiden name Ann Evans

Annie Arwina Georgina Wilcox b. 1882 Swansea - GRO Index has mother's maiden name. Evans

Anne Evans married Thomas Shaddick Willcocks on 19th October 1878 in Kings Nympton Devon, she died in Swansea in 1896.  I have not been able to find the parents of the children in the 1891 census.
Thomas Shaddick Willcocks was born in 1856 in Burrington, Kings Nympton Devon and Ann Evans was born in 1854 in St. David's Pembrokeshire.

By the time the 1901 census was taken Thomas Shaddick Willcocks was living in Mill Street with Catherine Willcocks (formerly Mosely, then Hurley) -

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSMQ-GXM

I'd be grateful for any input on this, sometimes, when researching and going over the same information time after time it's possible to get into a rut with it, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something obvious.

Many thanks for taking the time to get this far.

Yvonne :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with census entry - Gerty Wilcox and siblings
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 22 16:15 GMT (UK) »
The number 38 is the schedule number not the house number, as with the Phillips family (37 not 39).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 22 16:23 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the image for the three children (first 3 entries on page 8 ), you will see a hand-written note in the heading - Head from previous - which ties in with the Phillips family on page 7.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 November 22 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh, dear. I've really confused myself, haven't I?

Thank you both, I think I got a bit confused with the census entry for 1891 in Familysearch.org as the children appeared to be in a household with no adult in sight, then when I went to look back at the Ancestry entry I thought I'd made an error in assuming the children were with the Phillips family.

I did see the handwritten note above the entry for William Wilcox but had no idea what it meant, I found it quite hard to read, time for a new set of specs, perhaps? :)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 22 16:44 GMT (UK) »
assuming the children were with the Phillips family

I think that's what the entry is implying (ie that the head of the household is on the previous page) but it doesn't explain why they are listed as son / daughters if their parents are still alive, unless they have been informally adopted.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 22 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I completely agree, I know we shouldn't make assumptions but I really did think that the Phillips family must have been connected to the children in some way, I just received a copy of the Marriage certificate for William and Martha Phillips (formerly Williams) the couple married in Swansea Register Office on 24 June 1865 - with surnames in the mix such as Evans and Williams I may have my work cut out for sure. 

Also, while I think of it, Gertrude Amanda Wilcox was born in Rhydymardy, Llandilotalybont but by the time her mother registered the birth the family was living in 10 Aberdyberthi Street, Hafod Swansea.
I'm wondering if Anne was visiting her parents or maybe a sister (I live in hope).  The 1901 census records Gertrude's place of birth as Gorseinon.  I've tried using the address search in Findmypast but no luck with that. 

I'm not familiar with the Gorseinon area, can anyone help me locate Rhydymardy, Llandilotalybont in the 1881 census,  please? with a bit of luck, I may find a relative as I know hardly anything about Anne.

Many Thanks

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 November 22 17:05 GMT (UK) »
This will give you some info on the area.....https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/LlandeiloTalybont

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 November 22 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I've just clicked on it and the map seems quite modern.  I don't know if Rhydymardy was a single dwelling or an area in 1881.  I searched through District 1 and District 2 Llandilotalybont which is available in Ancestry in the 1881 Census, I only did a quick run-through to see if I could spot anything resembling Rhydymardy, but nothing jumped out at me.   I may give the Swansea Archives Office a ring tomorrow, they are always super helpful.

Thank you for your help too :)

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 November 22 17:44 GMT (UK) »
From an article published Tuesday 03 August 1897 in the South Wales Daily News

The church worshipped for 100 years at Rhydymardy, the original name of the present flourishing village of Gorseinon.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon