Author Topic: Help with census entry - Gerty Wilcox and siblings  (Read 1286 times)

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with census entry - Gerty Wilcox and siblings
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 November 22 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Rhydymaerdy on this map

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102342439
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 November 22 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alan for the info, and thank you Osprey for the link, great map :)

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 November 22 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to labour the point but I have a niggle :(

I went back and had another look at the 1891 Census entry for the Phillips family on page 7 -  schedule number 37 and 2 oblique lines at the bottom of the page. Also, page 7 looks partly torn, is that why  Schedule 38 is missing?

On page 8 at the top are the three children William, Gerty, and Annie Wilcox - Schedule number 39 with two oblique lines, and also a written comment above the "Relation to head of family' box.  I couldn't read it all but someone thought it read "head from previous" assuming it meant the previous page.

I did a quick search on Google and found this:-

In all census years except 1851, 1911, and 1921 the last entry in a building is indicated by a double oblique line //, and where there is more than one household within a building, they are separated by a single oblique line /.

So if I apply that explanation to the Phillips family which has a double oblique line after the youngest Phillips child in the family at the bottom of page 7, does that then mean that the 3 children listed at the top of page 8, are not living with the Phillips family? And Deidre brought up a good point (thank you) why are the children listed as a son and daughters instead of visitors or lodgers or boarders?

I have spent quite a lot of time trying to connect the Phillips and Wilcox/Willcocks families, as yet to no avail, but I may just have not found the connection.  It is so frustrationg not to be able to find either parent in the 1891 census.  I believe the mother Annie Willcocks died in 1896 in Swansea and I've requested a copy of her death certificate in the hope it will help. 

Any input will be greatly appreciated,

Yvonne :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 November 22 14:19 GMT (UK) »
The double stroke at the bottom of the previous page denotes the end of a household. So the three children aren't in the same household as far as I can see.

It's difficult to make out the writing at the top of the entry for the children, but my first impression was that it said 'head from home', (i.e. absent). I don't think it says 'head from previous'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 November 22 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I went back and had another look at the 1891 Census entry for the Phillips family on page 7 -  schedule number 37 and 2 oblique lines at the bottom of the page. Also, page 7 looks partly torn, is that why  Schedule 38 is missing?

Schedule 38 isn't missing, it is on the next page, number 8, and contains the entry for the three Wilcox children.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 November 22 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, JenB you are correct - I've once again misread the schedule number - honestly, I'm getting in a right tizz with this entry - I agree with you about the writing at the top of the page, I couldn't decipher the last word even though I enlarged it as far as I could.  Thank you for your suggestion, it makes more sense, I honestly don't think the Wilcox children are living with the Phillips family, I think the Ancestry transcription is an error.  I wonder where the parents were?

Many thanks for taking the time to check and reply :)

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 November 22 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Remember the census is just a snapshot of who is in a property on a specific night - so just because Mum and Dad aren't listed it doesn't mean they're off the scene, they may be visiting relatives, down a mine, in hospital etc.  The Phillips may just be minding the kids for the evening

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 November 22 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to reply, you make a very good point