Author Topic: Adamson/Rodgers connection?  (Read 867 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Adamson/Rodgers connection?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 November 22 03:23 GMT (UK) »
1851 Scotland Census  High Street, Dalkeith, Midlothian.
David Adamson   60
Mary Adamson   21
David Adamson   17
Catherin Adamson   12
Mitchel Adamson   6
Jemmah Adamson   3

1861 St. Giles, Edinburgh Buccleuch, Midlothian
Mitchel Adamson, age 15, born 1846, born Dalkeith, Edinburgh
Relationship: Brother-in-law (Living with David and Mary Miller and their children)
Address: 5 Crichton St

Interesting occupation.  I wonder if Jemima met Roland in Scotland or if the Millers eventually settled in America (and Roland knew David Miller).  I will see if I can find the Millers after 1861.

Added: David Miller was a Draper & Clothier.  So, back to looking for Mitchel.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 November 22 04:39 GMT (UK) »

Confirmation of the birth details on the death certificate for Daniel Patterson Adamson

Daniel Patterson Adamson -Birth Date   11 Nov 1875 New York
Death Date 7 Aug 1944 Alameda
Mother's Maiden Name Rodgers - Father's Surname Adamson

Sandra

It might be best if details about Jemima can be confirmed, including: was she truly born in Dalkeith and was her maiden name Rogers/Rodgers or possibly Adamson.

If your friend would like any details about Oakland, California (where Jemima last lived), I might be able to help as I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for years.  (Learning little details about where my ancestors lived in the UK is very interesting to me.  Maybe others feel the same way about their ancestors.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 November 22 07:05 GMT (UK) »
If that was indeed Jemima on the 1873 passenger list, she was an Adamson.
The stories passed down might just be heresay which you might not be able to substantiate  :-\

Could the middle name Patterson have more significance perhaps ?

There are no border crossing records that might show a Rolland Adamson crossing to USA.
It may be difficult to find a marriage in the time frame 1873 - 1875  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 November 22 07:59 GMT (UK) »
It may also be difficult to find Roland’s death if it occurred in New York c1875.

1851 Scotland Census  High Street, Dalkeith, Midlothian
David Adamson   60
Mary Adamson   21
David Adamson   17 (c1834)

Possibly a coincidence, especially since the above David would have been quite young, but mentioning it anyway.  Or, more likely, could they be Jemima’s father and stepmother?
Scotland Select Marriage
David Adamson
Helen Paterson
Marriage Date: 25 Sep 1853
Marriage Place: Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland

I have not yet found the above couple after 1853.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 November 22 08:43 GMT (UK) »
The above marriage could be for Jemima’s father, if in fact her father’s name was Adamson AND if the following records are for the same David Adamson (not two people with the same name).

1851 Scotland Census  High Street, Dalkeith, Midlothian
David Adamson   60
   Possibly widowed as his wife is not shown on the census

David Adamson married Helen Paterson, 25 Sep 1853, Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
   No ages given (using Anc*try)

David Adamson, age 60.  Died on 08/12/1854. Parish - St Cuthbert's
   Age is a bit out, though.  Source: Scotlandspeople. No town name listed.

1861 East Dalkeith, Midlothian, 149 High Street
Helen Paterson, age 66, born c1795, Milknowe, Haddington

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 November 22 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow, you ladies are great and I have written a to do list to see if we get lucky. Starting with inquire about the hospital in NY state to see if records were kept to find out why Daniel P. Adamson, 4years was there in 1880. Next Dr. Augustus J.T. Giraud I want to check him out. Wouldn't it be something if he worked at that hospital and like Lisa said gave her a job as his housekeeper!!! Did the Millers emigrate to the US. Could there have been a Roland ? that Jemima met through her brother from working in the printing business?
Finally adding the middle name of Patterson which is usually the maiden name of the Mother, if Jemima's father remarried this Helen in 1853, then dies in 1854 a year later, it seems all the children have left home or are living with siblings. To give your son your step-mother's maiden name is a big deal so why not Jemima's own Mother's maiden name of Rogers or Rodgers!!!

The only information that my 4-6th cousin??? tells me is that he has researched for years, with some information being passed down the family via Jemima. He is very keen on linking my ancestors Grahams to his tree since this DNA hit came back showing us as possible connections as 4-6th cousins.  My Grahams I have traced in Co. Monaghan, Ireland but the name I'm sure is Ulster Scots since my DNA has changed over the years percentage wise telling me know I am 73% Scots and 6 % Irish and that does my head in since I can't grasp DNA.

I will work on some things and again thank you for all your time and information. You are both the best.
Sincerely,
Susan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 November 22 21:35 GMT (UK) »
“Finally adding the middle name of Patterson which is usually the maiden name of the Mother, if Jemima's father remarried this Helen in 1853, then dies in 1854 a year later, it seems all the children have left home or are living with siblings. To give your son your step-mother's maiden name is a big deal so why not Jemima's own Mother's maiden name of Rogers or Rodgers!!!”

Just a quick reply as I can’t chat right now.

Jemima was born c1849.  Her mother possibly died c1851. Her father possibly died in 1854. If the above Adamsons are the correct people, Jemima most likely did not remember her birth mother and possibly father; Helen might have been the only parent Jemima knew.  Jemima was not living with Helen, or at least wasn’t in Helen’s household during the night of the 1861 census.  But, that doesn't mean that they weren’t on friendly terms.  Perhaps the children were split up due to financial difficulties, but still cared about each other.  :)

My greatgrandfather’s sister and cousin were named after their step-grandmother.  They had identical first, middle and last names.  :o  :)  When I first started researching, my parents and aunt told me that this branch of the family cared deeply about family.  My mum remembers listening to her future father-in-law talk about “this side” of the family all the time (but never once mentioning his maternal side).  For whatever reason, family apparently meant the world to him. 

Perhaps, if Patterson was Jemima’s stepmother, she felt the same way.  Or, another thing to think about, how did David and Helen meet?  Was she related to Jemima’s mother?  A friend of the family?  Who knows.

I will try to write again tonight.  If Jemima did name her son after her stepmother, I think that’s rather endearing.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 November 22 06:51 GMT (UK) »
I did find a 1880 census from Co. Richmond NY, Staten Island that was a Nursery & Children's Hospital with a long list of children's names. There is a Daniel P. Adamson 4 years so I'm wondering if if was abandoned as Jemima couldn't look after him.

I wonder if there might be any old records from the hospital that might provide some clues as to why Daniel was there and possibly list his parents’ information?  He may not have been abandoned; I wonder if Jemima found employment (1880 census) through the hospital management or if Dr. Augustus (1880 census) suggested the hospital?

Just to clarify, I wonder
if Jemima found employment with Dr. Giraud from someone at the hospital (they suggested him), or
if, while Jemima was employed by Dr. Giraud, he suggested the hospital for Daniel.

Of course, we don’t yet have proof that “her” Daniel was the one in the hospital.

Regarding DNA, I would suggest taking a look at the DNA forum as new, pertinent questions/replies frequently appear which may answer some of your questions.  :)  Finding a connection between 4th-6th cousins is a bit of a challenge for me as there are usually too many possibilities (which surname do we have in common).  But, perhaps my situation might be different as I mainly use Anc*try where there are limited Canadian and across the pond folks who are DNA matches to me.  I’m Canadian. My American husband has easily four times as many DNA matches and generally I can find his connections without too many problems.  But, every situation is different and of course finding matches depends upon who has submitted DNA samples and if parents and ancestors are truly related through birth.

A note of caution: I might humbly suggest that you think about the possibility of finding something unexpected.  Would you be willing to accept any surprises?  Through DNA, I found out that an ancestor gave up her first child (prior to her marriage). I was not upset as it was long ago, I don’t know the circumstances of her situation and I found a wonderful distant relative.  However, I recently found out a friend’s grandfather was not his birth grandfather.  He was born years after his supposed grandfather died (and his grandparents split up when they were young) so their was no emotional attachment, but I found it to be a huge surprise. (My friend didn’t really give it a second thought as he doesn’t care too much for genealogy.)  ;)