Author Topic: Leigh, Lancashire - Wesleyan Methodist burial locations - confused.  (Read 188 times)

Offline SiGr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leigh, Lancashire - Wesleyan Methodist burial locations - confused.
« on: Wednesday 09 November 22 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching some Wesleyan Methodist ancestors who lived in Leigh, Lancs., which seems to have had quite a lot of Wesleyan Chapels over the years.
Specifically, I am confused about burial grounds.
There was clearly a burial ground/cemetery at Bedford Wesleyan Chapel (founded in 1793) on the corner of Chapel Street and North Street as it appears on maps.
However, Ancestry has a Burial Register for the 'Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Leigh" (founded about 1815).
This suggests there were at least two Methodist Chapels with Burial Grounds but I cannot locate the latter.
I wonder if it was the King Street Chapel (founded about 1805) but this does not appear to have a Burial Ground on any of the maps I have looked at online.
Can anybody help ?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments/ideas.
Simon
(1) Janions of Cheshire, Lancashire, Hawaii, Vancouver and Seattle.
(2) Gregorys of Tarporley, Cheshire.
(3) Pughs of 'The New Pale' near Frodsham and Delamere in Cheshire.
(4) Nevills of Llanelly, Llangennech and Felinfoel.
(5) Yaldens of Ovington/Lovington in Hampshire.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Leigh, Lancashire - Wesleyan Methodist burial locations - confused.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 22 15:42 GMT (UK) »
From www.lan-opc.org.uk
Bedford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now Bedford Methodist Church

Bedford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was opened in 1793 and was the first Methodist chapel in Leigh.

The 1844 OS map shows a chapel in a lane which was later to become North Street, apparently just behind the later site on Chapel Street, and identified as "Methodist Chapel". The 1893 map shows it on its present site but does not identify the denomination, nor does the 1905 map. On both these latter maps a school is shown behind the church on what appears to be the earlier site.
The chapel, unusually for a non-conformist chapel in the area, had its own burial ground.

The Wesleyan Methodists, United Methodists and Primitive Methodists merged in 1932 as the Methodist Church.