Author Topic: Munro/Hunter info needed  (Read 25609 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Munro/Hunter info needed
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I see that Sarah died in Bathgate in 1885, aged 31.

In 1881 William and Sara had a daughter Celia, aged 1.

In 1891, in Torphichen, is a family consisting of William Hunter, 38, born Falkirk; wife Elizabeth, 36, born Airdrie; children including Celia, 12, born Roughrigg, Lanarkshire and four under-5s; John, Barbara, Edward and George.

Barbara Gillespie Hunter, mother's maiden name McPhite, died in Uphall in 2008 aged 92.
George Easton Hunter died in Bathgate in 1915 aged 24, mmn McPheat.
Elizabeth Easton Hunter died in Edinburgh in 1980 aged 87, mmn McPheat.

William Hunter married Elizabeth McPheat in New Monkland in 1885.

The original documents at Scotland's People will confirm whether I'm on the right lines or not.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ray778

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 November 22 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I know William and Sarah had three children Celia, Alexander b 1876 and William birth unknown.

Alexander was married to an Annie McPheat so am wondering if Annie and Elizabeth were related???

Ray

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 November 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth McPheat or Hunter, mmn Gillespie, died in Edinburgh in 1914 aged 54. Noting that her first daughter was named Barbara Gillespie, she has to be the daughter of William McFeat and Barbara Gillespie. I can't find her birth or baptism, but three younger siblings were born in New Monkland; Thomas 1855, John 1857 and Margaret 1859.

Elizabeth, 7, is the sixth of nine children to William McF and Barbara G, listed in New Monkland in the 1861 census. The three younger ones are as listed above.

Annie McPheat married Alexander Hunter in 1897 in New Monkland. There are four deaths of Hunters, mmn McPheat, born 1897 to 1917. One of these was William Easton Hunter, aged 85, in West Calder in 1983. There's a birth of William Easton Hunter in Bathgate in 1898.

In the 1901 census in Bathgate are Alexander E Hunter with wife Annie, 30, born East Longrigg with William, 3; Annie 1, and Jeanie McPheat, sister, 12, born East Longrigg.

In 1891 there's a family in New Monkland including William McPheat, 40, born New Monkland, with wife Annie and a whole string of children including Annie, 20 and Jane, 2. They are the family of William McPheat and Annie McMillan. There's also an Edward, which is useful because it is not one of the commonest names in Scotland and it occurs among the other Hunter children.

In 1851 there is a six-month-old William McFeat in the family of William McFeat and Barbara Gillespie in the census in New Monkland.

So I think that Annie McFeat/McPheat, wife of Alexander Hunter, was the niece of Elizabeth McPheat/McFeat/McPhite, daughter of Elizabeth's older brother William.

Do not, however, take this as certain. I could easily have got it wrong. You must check it out by getting the two Hunter/McPheat marriage certificates and the marriage certificate of William McFeat and Annie McMillan.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ray778

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 November 22 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian for getting this information.

I have now come across some information which is hard to read but have made out some info as below:

Alexander Hunter married to Caroline Davidson has a son (William???) born 18th March 1853 and was baptised. Witnesses are William Hunter and Jean Christie.

I am thinking that the son above maybe the William that married Sarah Stenhouse and Elizabeth McPheat. Can anyone help clarify this for me?

Ray

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 November 22 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Hunter married to Caroline Davidson has a son (William???) born 18th March 1853 and was baptised. Witnesses are William Hunter and Jean Christie.
I am thinking that the son above maybe the William that married Sarah Stenhouse and Elizabeth McPheat. Can anyone help clarify this for me?
There is a death of William Hunter, mmn Davidson, in Bothwell in 1884, aged 32. As 'your' William Hunter married for the second time in 1885, this is obviously not the same William Hunter.

(But you would need to get the death certificate to check whether or not this one is the son of Alexander H and Caroline Davidson. The index does not tell you that.)

Also, the census extract already listed in Reply#3 says that Sarah Stenhouse's huband was born in Falkirk, and the baptism above is in Fetteresso, which is nowhere near Falkirk.

If you are referring to original records, you should always take note of, and quote, the parish or district in which the event was recorded. No-one would expect you to know where Fetteresso is in relation to Falkirk, but please always include all available information when seeking assistance.

There is only one way to find out for certain who the parents of William Hunter were, and that is to get one of his marriage certificates from Scotland's People.

(There is a death of a William Easton Hunter, aged 52, in Bathgate in 1906, who is probably yours, but the index does not list his mother's maiden name.)

Offline Ray778

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 November 22 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarin

The document come from family members when they tried doing the family history themselves so can not provide the parish etc.

Now i was wondering if you could clarify the William Hunter and Barbara Gillespie marriage and where they came into the family as i am a bit confused on these?

Ray

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 18 November 22 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Now i was wondering if you could clarify the William Hunter and Barbara Gillespie marriage and where they came into the family as i am a bit confused on these?
Barbara Gillespie was the wife of William McFeat/McPheat, not the wife of William Hunter.

I think that she was the mother of Elizabeth McFeat/McPheat, who married William Hunter, and grandmother of Annie McPheat/McFeat, who married Alexander Hunter, but you will have to get the certificates to be sure of that.

One way to resolve your confusion is to get a family history progam and put into it all the information you have, then you will be able to see who was related how to whom and what information is missing or needs to be verified. There are various basic programs available free of charge - search online for 'free genealogy programs'.

Offline Ray778

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 November 22 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying the information

Offline Ray778

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 21 November 22 11:04 GMT (UK) »

In 1851 there is a six-month-old William McFeat in the family of William McFeat and Barbara Gillespie in the census in New Monkland.

So I think that Annie McFeat/McPheat, wife of Alexander Hunter, was the niece of Elizabeth McPheat/McFeat/McPhite, daughter of Elizabeth's older brother William.

Can anyone help me locate William as he wasnt on 1871 census and i can't locate 1861 census on my end?