Author Topic: Captain of the ship Hudson - John Scott Paterson (Master)  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Re: Captain of the ship Hudson - John Scott Paterson (Master)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 November 22 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information - it was exactly what I was hoping for. I would like to use it as apart of his burial record and/or for a memorial headstone.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 November 22 09:45 GMT (UK) »
It might be useful to know that 'Forfar' has three possible meanings.

One is the burgh (town) of Forfar
Which is in the parish of Forfar
Which is in the County of Angus, formerly sometimes known to officialdom as Forfarshire or the County of Forfar. (Calling it 'Forfar County' is always incorrect)

And that Montrose has two possible meanings
One is the burgh (town) of Montrose
Which is in the parish of Montrose
Which is in the County of Angus.

So if you intend to say unambiguously where John Scott Paterson was born, I would recommend that you use "Montrose, Angus". Not "Montrose, Forfar" as in the extract you posted at the start of the thread.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 November 22 20:25 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting, thanks for explaining that Forfarian.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd post this for others who may be researching this family (or any other family in NZ) in the future...

Death Indexed here - (Using RC ShrinkLink) - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nxh/

The above is not one of the best search facilities I've encountered as it's quite precise, years alone are not an option, they want day/month although broad ::)

Costs (I'm not sure if it's British £s or what) as it's not clear?

Product   Unit Price

Death Certificate   33.00   
Death printout from 1 Jan 1875   25.00

However, rather than have a 'print out' posted you can have it emailed.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Death Indexed here - (Using RC ShrinkLink) - http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nxh/
The above is not one of the best search facilities I've encountered as it's quite precise, years alone are not an option, they want day/month although broad ::)
I've used this extensively and I agree that it's not all that user-friendly.

In particular the absence of wildcards or fuzzy searching means that there's a risk of missing information if names are strangely spelled or misindexed.

You don't need to put in an exact date but you do need to do dates in dd/mm/yyyy format, so I just use 01/01/yyyy to 31/12/yyyy. You can winkle out an exact date by repeatedly narrowing the range of dates to get down to just one date. It's a mystery to me why, if the date is in the system, it can't be returned as part of the results.

There are also cut-offs - you can't view births less than 100 years ago, marriages less than 80 years ago, or deaths less than 50 years ago unless the person who died was aged over 80.

Plus points are that the births index includes both parents' given names, and the deaths index gives the exact date of birth from some time in the early to mid 20th century.

The prices are in New Zealand dollars, so for example a death printout (if available) currently costs a little more than eight similar certificates from Scotland's People.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,

I'm of the same view on their search options...

They need to employ the IT people from SP to do their indexing/options to capacity.

SP have the best search facility by far, throughout the world (not including their prices) but it doesn't stop people complaining.  ::)

I'm still trying to work out why people find SP expensive.???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Certainly agree re the NZ BDM search facility. The dates don't bother me too much, or the privacy laws, but the lack of wildcards or fuzzy searching on names can be so frustrating.