Author Topic: Regarding Andrew Middlemas-Living with Agnes Shortreed 97 in Yetholm 1841  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regarding Andrew Middlemas-Living with Agnes Shortreed 97 in Yetholm 1841
« on: Friday 11 November 22 03:01 GMT (UK) »
Greetings.

I'm seeking any info I can find on an individual named Andrew Middlemas living in Yetholm in 1841. As seen here in this census:

https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a15603cf4040b9d6e7597fc/agnes-shortreed-1841-roxburghshire-yetholm-1744-?locale=en

Why I am interested is the 97 year old woman living with them is named Agnes Shortreed... I have a great x grandmother of the same name , born Agnes Bruce who married a Richard Scott Shortread (also listed as Shortread Scott in some documents). They lived in Berwickshire though but there could be a Roxburgh connection.

My Middlemiss family is mainly from Duns/Swinton area of Berwickshire. This Andrew Middlemiss in Yetolm was about 20 in 1841. It says he was born in Roxburgh (Agnes Shortread also). For that reason I kind of discounted them as being relatives ... until I started looking deeper.

First of all I have not been able to find an Andrew Middlemas (or variations) born in Roxburgh in those years. The document could be missing but I see no reference to a birth by that name. Same with Agnes Shortreed, I cannot find her in those years in Roxburgh either.

The name Andrew is common in the Middlemisses of Duns ... It shows up and so does the name Thomas. When I saw the children of Elisabeth Noble and Andrew Middlemas in the census , I was struck right away by the combination of the names Thomas, Andrew wit Middlemiss but also Agnes Shortreed who was 97 years of age (same age as Agnes Bruce/Shortreed would be in 1841 if alive).

Curiously I did find an Andrew Middlemiss born in 1819 (the right age) in Swinton, Berwickshire.

MIDDLEMIS
ANDREW
ROBERT MIDDLEMIS/ELIZABETH GLASGOW FR274 (FR274)
M
19/12/1819

My family was around Swinton at the time. My grandfather Robert Middlemiss was born 1800 and went on to be a joiner around the Swinton area ... like his father Thomas (who has a brother named Andrew).

Robert had my grandfather out-of-wedlock in 1836. To make a long story short I was wondering if my grandfather Robert could be the same Robert in the birth of Andrew in 1819 above. I got the document and it says labourer in Swinton which he may have been before he became a joiner.

I couldn't find a marriage for Robert Middlemiss and Ms. Glasgow.
- no marriage for Andrew Middlemiss and Elizabeth Noble.
- no death cert for Andrew found yet.
- no birth for Agnes Shortreed in Roxburgh near 1744 , no death for that name.

I was wondering if anyone was related to or had any info on Andrew Middlemis , who his parents are etc. Also anything about Agnes Shortreed. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Andrew Middlemas-Living with Agnes Shortreed 97 in Yetholm 1841
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 November 22 10:21 GMT (UK) »
1851 shows surname as Middlemiss.  Margaret Noble shown as mother in law

Andrew born 1820 Jedburgh & they also have a daughter Agnes aged 7
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 November 22 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Noble was probably the daughter of Agnes Shortreed.  Death for Margaret 1856 on SP shows mmn Shortreed so you could download the image as it should have parental details

You would need to download & view the 1841 census image but I think Agnes may have been 77 not 97.

There is a female Shortreed death on SP 10.4.1849 aged 82 but no christian name shown
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 November 22 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

There are a couple of well researched trees on Ancestry, which include original certificates and images. One here, for example, www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/50954202/person/13635233343/facts

They show Elizabeth Noble as having died on 3 Sep 1863 Shidlaw, Carham, Northumberland (from FreeBMD Glendale, Northumberland 3rd Qrt 10b/238). The family were in Carham for the 1861 census weren't they?

A second marriage for Andrew back in Scotland when he married Helen Trotter on 5 May 1865 in Yetholm, Roxburgh. This is from image of marriage registration which is included.

His death was on 11 Jul 1898 at Nenthorn, Berwickshire.

In both his second marriage and death reg, his parents are given as an Andrew Middlemass, farm servant, and Agnes Craig. Original image of his death reg is also included on this tree.

From the OPRs, the name of Agnes was obviously important. With the detail of his mother being an Agnes Craig, he called an early (first born?) daughter Agnes born in 1836. She looks to have died before 1841as she doesn't show on the 1841 census and the name reused in 1844. The OPRs on SP show the following christenings: Agnes 1836, Margaret 1839, Agnes 1844 and Thomas 1849, all in Yetholm.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 November 22 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Some possible siblings for Andrew to consider. All show mother's maiden name as CRAIG on the SP death index:

1878 Elizabeth Middlemass, aged 51 - Hobkirk
1880 Thomas Middlemas, aged 65 - St Boswells
1920 Agnes Middlemas, aged 89 - Kirkton (Roxburgh)

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 November 22 15:09 GMT (UK) »
There is this marriage for Andrew's parents included in the family trees. I can't find it searching on SP (including 'other churches'). Might explain why entries in the OPRs have been hard to find so far?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 November 22 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Again, not seeing this on SP so far, but this possibility for Agnes Craig's birth:

Agnes Simpson Craig
21 Sept 1788
Gateshaw Associate Session, Morebattle
Parents: Thomas Craig and Margaret Forsyth.

Monica

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 November 22 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for taking the time! Greatly appreciated.

Looks like my grandfather did not father Andrew and Agnes Shortreed is not my Agnes Bruce...

Good info to know and I can focus my searches elsewhere.

Cheers.

Alan
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.