Author Topic: David Weller East Surrey Regiment/Welsh Regiment  (Read 523 times)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Weller East Surrey Regiment/Welsh Regiment
« on: Sunday 13 November 22 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have some papers and within them are two medal certificates to David Weller, Welsh Regiment. I have established that he was initially in The East Surrey Regiment and was born in Dorking in May 1896.

My problem is that I cant find him on any census. It may well be that he was an ophan as he gives a Miss Uzzell as his next of kin on his joining papers.

Thanks,
Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: David Weller East Surrey Regiment/Welsh Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 22 11:17 GMT (UK) »
No birth in 1896 on freebmd

Only 2 Dorking births 1891 & 1892.  How have you established he was born in Dorking May 1896?

250 female Uzzell entries on the 1911 census.  Any address given for her?

There are 2 surviving WW1 service records for a David Weller b 1896 but they do not match the profile you have given

What was his service number & what kind of papers are you referring to that were  with the medal certs?

Is he an ancestor? 

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 22 11:29 GMT (UK) »
The MRI has an entry for a David Weller - Private in the Welsh Regiment service number 11193
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 November 22 11:29 GMT (UK) »
He was born at Betchworth per the East Surrey recruitment detail, and also the 1921 census (still in the army).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 22 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Betchworth came under Reigate RD.  Only one birth & that was Dec qtr 1893 so does not fit a May 1896 birth.

What is your interest in this person?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 November 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
He was only 5ft 2.25 inches tall in 1914 so may have understated his age at recruitment.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 November 22 12:25 GMT (UK) »
His post war army number is 3948360 (per the 1921 census). His army papers are still with the MoD, and they have his date of birth as 31 May 1896 (per FoI spreadsheet 7).

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 November 22 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Uzzell ran a market garden and David Weller was a nurseryman so possibly he was or had been an employee.

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 November 22 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks All,

To answer a few questions first. He is not a relative but I hold his medal ceriticates. The information regarding DoB was taken from the same source as ShaunJ.

The army service numbers are correct. The earlier one being changed in the August 1920. army reforms.

I like the connection between Miss Uzeell and his civilian occupation.

I dont know why he would have understated his DoB (many did the opposite) unless he tried to convince them that he might have a few years more to grow although I dont think there was a height requirement.

Based on an 1893 DoB I will check for possible family but the use of Miss Uzzell does suggest otherwise.

Paul

I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.