Author Topic: David Weller East Surrey Regiment/Welsh Regiment  (Read 524 times)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Weller East Surrey Regiment/Welsh Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 November 22 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Just seen that the David Weller born 1894 in Reigate died in 1895 in Reigate.

I think my man is the earier one (born 1892) whose father was John a farm labourer. Thats given as Betchworth, Reigate in the 1901 Census.

He also has a mother and siblings so why give an employer as next of kin?
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 November 22 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Were his parents deceased?  Perhaps he was estranged from them?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 November 22 14:41 GMT (UK) »
I do not know the status of his parents but even assuming they had both died by the time he came to join the army, surely he would have given one of his siblings as next of kin?

If he lied about his date of birth perhaps he thought that he should do the same about his family?
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.