Author Topic: Samuel Oliver abt 1770  (Read 267 times)

Offline susyswan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Oliver abt 1770
« on: Sunday 13 November 22 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Samuel Oliver born abt 1770 he married Sarah Williams in 1827 in Oldswinford , they had two sons Samuel b 1827-1840 and Thomas b 1831-1869 . I am looking for any information before his marriage i cant find a birth/baptism any information would be most welcome. Thank you.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Oliver abt 1770
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 22 15:09 GMT (UK) »
To start this off:

Samuel Oliver married Sarah Williams on 12th February 1827 in Kingswinford, Staffordshire. The witnesses were Robert Griffin and Thomas Walker. Groom and bride signed by mark:
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5ff504a5f493fda0cd7cdc26/sarah-williams-samuel-oliver-marriage-staffordshire-kingswinford-1827-02-12?locale=en

Samuel Jr. was baptised on 27th January 1828 in Oldswinford, Worcestershire. His father's occupation is skinner. The family is residing at Stourbridge.

Thomas was baptised on 27th March 1831; the details are the same as above.

There is a Sarah Oliver, aged 40, and her son, Thomas, lodging with a William Williams and his family in Hagley, Worcestershire in 1841. I assume this is the correct family?

Did you get Samuel's estimated birth year from this death registration?
OLIVER, SAMUEL       71 
GRO Reference: 1841  M Quarter in STOURBRIDGE UNION  Volume 18  Page 386

Have you actually seen this certificate? If he was indeed married to Sarah at age 57, it seems likely that he would have been married before.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline susyswan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 22 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply . I have looked for a previous marriage but cant find one ( unless he married in another name ) on his death certificate it gives his birth as 1770 .

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 22 01:12 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry that has Samuel as being previously married to Mary PARKS (19 Feb 1798, Kings Norton). I very much doubt this as this Samuel signs, whereas the one who married Sarah WILLIAMS in 1827 does not.

It would be unusual for the parish register to not say "widower" if he had been previously married. (Though I haven't seen an actual image.)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 22 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The family Sarah Oliver is living with in 1841 looks to be her brother and sister in law William Williams and Elizabeth Hooper married  Kingswinford 7 May 1826 wit William Hooper and Thomas Walker.
So Kingswinford is her parish and Samuel Oliver skinner was living down the hill in Stourbridge.
William Williams gives his birthplace as Pedmore on the 1851 census.

Ciderdrinker