Author Topic: 6th Manchester Regiment c 1903  (Read 180 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
6th Manchester Regiment c 1903
« on: Sunday 13 November 22 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon

I have my ancestor's militia attestation form,  Robert Layfield aka Robert Richards, from Burnley and it states he enlisted with the 6th Manchester Regiment in April 1903 for 6 years at the age of 18. In December 1910 he was discharged from Netley as wounded from the 1st Bn Kings Own Regiment (Royal Lancashire Regiment) having served four years of an eight year career in India.

Service numbers 7840 with King's Regiment as Robert Layfield and 13757 with 10th Cameronians Scottish Rifles as Robert Richards.

I am trying to discover how he went from one regiment to another and why he was in India around this time period.

Any help would be very welcome.

I also posted on the general military board but figured it was in the wrong place as I only received one response which I found very unusual because I always have great success on here.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Amanda
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 6th Manchester Regiment c 1903
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 22 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Mr Google appears to have lots of information on both Regiments as does Mr Wiki. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 22 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Mr Google appears to have lots of information on both Regiments as does Mr Wiki.

Thank you but I hoped that somebody in the know may have come across the switch from one regiment to another or maybe knows if the 6th perhaps changed or merged which Mr Wiki or Mr Google haven't as yet jnformed me of.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will consult them further.
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 November 22 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I know  :-[  I am sure that you would have been much better waiting for a more helpful response from the Armed Forces Board.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 22 17:13 GMT (UK) »
He would have been discharged from his militia unit (6th Manchester) when he joined the regular army (Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment) in July 1903.

There doesn't appear to be much information online about the movements of the two regular battalions of the Kings Own during the period 1902-1906

In December 1906 the Chelmsford Chronicle reports that the 2nd Battalion had prepared a draft of 3 officers and 129 men for India. This is the time that Robert Layfield was posted to India and his record shows that he transferred from 2nd Battalion to 1st Battalion on the same date (19 December 1906) so presumably 1st Battalion was already in India and this draft was to join that unit, perhaps to bring it up to complement. The army was in India of course to keep order and protect that part of the Empire.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 November 22 17:46 GMT (UK) »
He would have been discharged from his militia unit (6th Manchester) when he joined the regular army (Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment) in July 1903.

There doesn't appear to be much information online about the movements of the two regular battalions of the Kings Own during the period 1902-1906

In December 1906 the Chelmsford Chronicle reports that the 2nd Battalion had prepared a draft of 3 officers and 129 men for India. This is the time that Robert Layfield was posted to India and his record shows that he transferred from 2nd Battalion to 1st Battalion on the same date (19 December 1906) so presumably 1st Battalion was already in India and this draft was to join that unit, perhaps to bring it up to complement. The army was in India of course to keep order and protect that part of the Empire.

Hi

You don't know how much I appreciate this information after the first comment. This is great.

Thank you so much  ;D
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire