Author Topic: Merchant Mariner from Hull, early 1800s  (Read 2068 times)

Offline scottsinclair

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Mariner from Hull, early 1800s
« on: Sunday 13 November 22 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My ancestor was a merchant mariner in Hull in the early 1800s (this from his Widow's census records in 1871, where she was living in a Mariners Alms House).

What exactly did a merchant mariner do?

Thanks

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Mariner from Hull, early 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 22 16:56 GMT (UK) »
A Dictionary of Old Trades, Titles and Occupations:

Mariner = anyone whose work entailed them going to sea (See master mariner, proper mariner and common mariner)

Master mariner = A seaman who has passed his examination to become ship's master and so be i charge of a ship.

Proper mariner = A highly qualified mariner fit for international navigation (as opposed to a common mariner - see under that entry)

Common mariner = A mariner involved in the coastal trade who only navigates within sight of land and other ships (i.e. someone who is skilled but not highly skilled at their trade).

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline scottsinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 22 17:09 GMT (UK) »
A Dictionary of Old Trades, Titles and Occupations:

Mariner = anyone whose work entailed them going to sea (See master mariner, proper mariner and common mariner)

Master mariner = A seaman who has passed his examination to become ship's master and so be i charge of a ship.

Proper mariner = A highly qualified mariner fit for international navigation (as opposed to a common mariner - see under that entry)

Common mariner = A mariner involved in the coastal trade who only navigates within sight of land and other ships (i.e. someone who is skilled but not highly skilled at their trade).

Hi, thanks for that...I'm sure he wasn't a master mariner else it'd be stated. I'm still unclear what a merchant mariner would have done though.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 November 22 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Was the 1871 "Mariner's Alms House" house in Carr Lane, Hull. I note from a couple of newspaper reports it was sometimes referred to as "Master Mariner's Alms House" - one as late as 22 Aug 1873.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 November 22 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have many Merchant Mariners in my family who lived in the Port of Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Words for the same occupation changes over the centuries and it will be noted that a MARINER is/was a sailor/seaman/seafarer. 

Britain has TWO navies: 
(1)  The UK government organises and pays for the ROYAL MAVY and

(2)  there is also a MERCHANT NAVY.  This comprises of ships owned by companies, or in the olden days would be owned by rich individuals such as "tea merchants" who owned plantations growing tea or cotton. Or other rich people such as landowners who have paid for part share of a ship and thus have a share of the profits.

Your ancestor was obviously employed to work on merchant ships.  In the days of old ships that used wind to fill the canvas sails, his job would be very manual and would need expertise and agility if he was required to climb the masts and rigging to furl the sails on a fast Clipper for example.  Or in later years he would be employed on steam ships that needed men to look after the steam engine and also "stokers & trimmers" to shovel coal into the steam boilers.

If you know the name of any of the ships your ancestor sailed on then you could follow his travels because local newspapers (such as the Hull Packet) in every port published the days arrivals and departures by giving the name of the ship, plus name of captain plus the last port or future port of call.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline scottsinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 November 22 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Was the 1871 "Mariner's Alms House" house in Carr Lane, Hull. I note from a couple of newspaper reports it was sometimes referred to as "Master Mariner's Alms House" - one as late as 22 Aug 1873.

Hi, this was the Alms house. I think it has two parts, one for master mariners and one for other?

Offline scottsinclair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 November 22 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I have many Merchant Mariners in my family who lived in the Port of Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Words for the same occupation changes over the centuries and it will be noted that a MARINER is/was a sailor/seaman/seafarer. 

Britain has TWO navies: 
(1)  The UK government organises and pays for the ROYAL MAVY and

(2)  there is also a MERCHANT NAVY.  This comprises of ships owned by companies, or in the olden days would be owned by rich individuals such as "tea merchants" who owned plantations growing tea or cotton. Or other rich people such as landowners who have paid for part share of a ship and thus have a share of the profits.

Your ancestor was obviously employed to work on merchant ships.  In the days of old ships that used wind to fill the canvas sails, his job would be very manual and would need expertise and agility if he was required to climb the masts and rigging to furl the sails on a fast Clipper for example.  Or in later years he would be employed on steam ships that needed men to look after the steam engine and also "stokers & trimmers" to shovel coal into the steam boilers.

If you know the name of any of the ships your ancestor sailed on then you could follow his travels because local newspapers (such as the Hull Packet) in every port published the days arrivals and departures by giving the name of the ship, plus name of captain plus the last port or future port of call.

Hi
This is really useful thank you. Unfortunately I don't know what ship he would have served on, information about him is scarce (birth records of his children, one census, and his wife's occupation after his death are all that I have to confirm his occupation). I'd be very interested to dig into any associated records should they exist though.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 November 22 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - I'd found the 1871 Census entry.