Author Topic: Strand/Lambeth look up requests  (Read 122315 times)

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Strand/Lambeth look up requests
« on: Tuesday 15 November 22 23:13 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1851 census, John Jr Fryar (of Friar/Fryer) was born about 1815 in Strand, Middlesex. Presumably, since he is listed as John Jr, his father was also John Fryar. I would like to find details of his baptism.

I would also like to know if he is on any other censuses. He would have been single on the 1841 census (and maybe living in Lambeth where he married in June 1841), but be with wife Sarah in 1861/71 etc. if still alive (I found a possible death in 1867, but not sure). In 1851, he was a waiter in St Giles, Cripplegate.

Thank you for your help!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Strand/Lambeth look up requests
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Where do you get the Jr bit from?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 23:28 GMT (UK) »
From his marriage on 15 June 1841

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 05:35 GMT (UK) »
From his marriage on 15 June 1841

If you’ve seen that Lambeth marriage record (bride was Sarah Harper) you will know that his father was listed as John Fryer, boot maker. Both bride and groom were said to be living in East St at the time of the marriage. The 1841 census date was 6 June, so only a week or so before the marriage.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 09:49 GMT (UK) »
There was a John Fryer, waiter, whose death is reported in many newspapers in December 1952. He died of yellow fever aboard the Royal Mail steamship Orinoco on 15 December. 1852.

And there is a John Fryer, waiter, 44, born London, in the 1861 census in Doby Court, St Olave Silver Street, with much younger wife Mary.  He is possibly the John Fryer, waiter, who  was awarded a medal by the Royal Humane Society in August 1861 for saving the life of Harmond Clayton.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Is this possibly John Fryer in 1861 with a different wife. Occupation the same as 1851 census. When his daughter Catherine married in 1860 to Charles Hills, John is not recorded as deceased.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2ML-3GXQ

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 09:54 GMT (UK) »
sorry ShaunJ no red box.

John

Offline Olicana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 13:08 GMT (UK) »

If you’ve seen that Lambeth marriage record (bride was Sarah Harper) you will know that his father was listed as John Fryer, boot maker. Both bride and groom were said to be living in East St at the time of the marriage. The 1841 census date was 6 June, so only a week or so before the marriage.

Was the father definitely listed as a boot maker? In the transcription I saw (a few years ago) his occupation was a mason.
I can't find an 1841 census with John and Sarah in East Street. The nearest possibility (very loose though!) I have seen is an 1841 census listing a John Fryer age 25 (so born 1816 - 1820) in New Broad Steet, St Botolph Without Bishopsgate in the household of Micholls family, so presumably a servant. I can't find Sarah Harper in 1841 census or the father John Fryar. It would be nice to find them all listed together in East Street!
Is this possibly John Fryer in 1861 with a different wife. Occupation the same as 1851 census. When his daughter Catherine married in 1860 to Charles Hills, John is not recorded as deceased.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2ML-3GXQ
It's  possible, but the census lists his birthplace as Lindsey, Middlesex. Is this near Strand?
there is a John Fryer, waiter, 44, born London, in the 1861 census in Doby Court, St Olave Silver Street, with much younger wife Mary.  He is possibly the John Fryer, waiter, who  was awarded a medal by the Royal Humane Society in August 1861 for saving the life of Harmond Clayton.
For John to have remarried by 1861, Sarah would have to have died between 1851 and 1861. I can't find any suitable death for her on the GRO. Are there any other details on the life saving incident?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Lindsey, Middlesex

Mistranscription. It says London.

If we weren't on a lookup board I would post a snip of it and a comparison with another one by the same enumerator. But we are and I can't.