Author Topic: Printing a large family tree  (Read 338 times)

Offline TrevorW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Printing a large family tree
« on: Wednesday 16 November 22 01:58 GMT (UK) »
I would like to print out my large family tree but each search leads me commercial printers. Are there any programs out there I could use myself?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Printing a large family tree
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 06:18 GMT (UK) »
What program are you using to generate the tree?

Most genealogy programmes I think will generate an editable PDF file you can save to a USB stick And then take to your local printshop.
(Being editable is good because you can add images and other text to the basic chart if you wish).

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Printing a large family tree
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Most genealogy programs will create large charts in one form or another. The downside of many of them is that they are larger than necessary because they contain a lot of white space.

When I was doing it commercially I used to prefer to use Treedraw by Spansoft because evey element in the chart is addressable so can be moved around to minimise white space and, thus, the size of the chart.

If you want to print the chart yourself then you either have to print it over several sheets of paper and stick them together (which isn't all that easy with very large charts) or buy a large format printer and paper (which is expensive unless you are doing it commercially and can recover the cost).