Author Topic: Trying To Identify Sailor - John G Sutherland  (Read 3444 times)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying To Identify Sailor - John G Sutherland
« on: Wednesday 16 November 22 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been trying to find out the family history of a sailor called John G Sutherland. I know that he definitely served in the 1950s because he was decorated for his part in the funeral of King George VI in 1952 as part of the HMS Excellent gin carriage. Through the 1911 and 21 Census I had thought that he was born in Dorset and the son of a Robert Baxter Sutherland (Born 1877 from Caithness) who served in the Royal Navy in Portsmouth BUT I have just seen a newspaper article From the Aberdeen Evening Express of April 1952 saying that OrdinarySeaman Jon Sutherland was from Halkirk, Caithness.

If this is correct my earlier research about his family is incorrect despite the connections with his fathers birthplace, his occupation in the Royal Navy and Portsmouth (father and son both served and lived there).

A medal also adds a further initial being J G C Sutherland.

I thought I had him but this nespaper article could mean a complete rethink  ??? ??? ???

Paul
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Trying To Identify Sailor - John G Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 17:31 GMT (UK) »
If he is an ancestor you would know more details so what is your interest in him?

Have you considered he may still be still be alive depending on his age at the time of the funeral?

Have you looked on SP for a birth in Caithness. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Have you looked for a JGC Sutherland birth in England or checked the 1939 register
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 17:42 GMT (UK) »
If he is an ancestor you would know more details so what is your interest in him?

Have you considered he may still be still be alive depending on his age at the time of the funeral?

Have you looked on SP for a birth in Caithness. www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Have you looked for a JGC Sutherland birth in England or checked the 1939 register

Not a relative. I am undertaking some research on sailors who served the Kings funeral for a publication on medals. I would guess his age would be at least 90 and quite possibly more. The England births and 39 Register drew a blank and we have ordered a cert from SP for a possibility born in Halkirk. Unfortunately, that will not estbalish if this man was the sailor but it might be a start.
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 20:35 GMT (UK) »

...as part of the HMS Excellent gin carriage.

Couldn't resist. You mean gun carriage I would imagine....though the idea of a gin carriage is interesting  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 21:40 GMT (UK) »
The birth you have identified as a possibility, was this for a John George Sutherland b. 1928 in Halkirk?

I think his parents may have been George Sutherland and Helen Moodie who married the year before in Thurso, Caithness. George Sutherland's father was called John George so likely the John George b. 1928 was called after his paternal grandfather.

This John George b. 1928 I think may have died in 1999

JOHN GEORGE SUTHERLAND
Age 70
Mother's maiden name MOODIE
280/ 165
Elgin

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Just a little more for this John from http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/people/mainfilter.asp

NM228514
JOHN GEORGE SUTHERLAND
c. 1929 to 18 APR 1999

Date of Birth : c. 1929
Spouse's Name : ANNE
Date of Death : 18 APR 1999
Place of Death : SPYNIE HOSPITAL ELGIN

Monica

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Yes the 1928 birth is the one we identified. I am trying to find a connection with the Navy.

The 1906 birth in Dorset had everything - a father who was in the navy who lived in Portmouth which is close to where John G was shore based. The I saw his father was from Caithness so I thought bingo. But then the newspaper article saying the seaman John G Sutherland on the gun carriage was from Halkirk nor Dorset. But there is that connection with Caithness.........

I have a feeling that the 1928 man is not the one I am after. The death in Elgin doesnt feel right unless he decided to go home after sailing the seven seas.   

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 22:13 GMT (UK) »
This period you enter in the 20th C is always frustrating due to the lack of online records isn't it.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 22 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Was this the medal you mention that was given to J G C Sutherland? https://www.emedals.com/naval-general-service-medal-1915-1962-near-east-gb2348

Monica