Author Topic: Trying To Identify Sailor - John G Sutherland  (Read 3443 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying To Identify Sailor - John G Sutherland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:16 GMT (UK) »
They all look like fairly young men so a birth registration in 1925-1934 seems likely.

Photo: https://tinyurl.com/ynkudph2

There's a JGC birth in Dunnet (not far from Halkirk) in 1933. Also a JG in Halkirk in 1928.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I saw the 1906 Poole man in the 1939 Register but I doubt that a schoolteacher would later have joined the navy as an ordinary seaman.
Exactly so. That's why I don't think he is your man.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:23 GMT (UK) »
They all look like fairly young men so a birth registration in 1925-1934 seems likely.

Photo: https://tinyurl.com/ynkudph2

There's a JGC birth in Dunnet (not far from Halkirk) in 1933. Also a JG in Halkirk in 1928.

Thanks,
On an earlier post you will see that we identified the 1928 Halkirk birth and have asked for the birth certificate. However, this will probably not help much.
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:25 GMT (UK) »
There are 10 public trees on Ancestry for the one born in Halkirk in 1928. Have you tried contacting the tree owners?

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:30 GMT (UK) »
There are 10 public trees on Ancestry for the one born in Halkirk in 1928. Have you tried contacting the tree owners?

No access to Ancesty so we didnt know that. Is it possible without membership?

Just some context re the medal that one or two posted about. Its anaval general service medal which is awarded for minor campaigns where there is no specific campaign medal. The clasp Near East refers to Suez in 1956 so we have him at the funeral in 1952 and still serving in 1956.
I lived in Ardwick, Manchester in the early 1960s as a small child and much travelling of the world has now led me to want to know more about my roots. Carter, Beckwith, Connolly, Heron and Kelly are all names that form part of my family tree.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:43 GMT (UK) »
You would need to be an Ancestry subscriber to use their messaging system.

Your money would be better spent ordering the service record from the MoD. That will answer your questions. ADDED Hmmm but you would need the death certificate to do that, so not as easy as I thought.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:46 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot, but there is a death of Cathol Magnus Sutherland, aged 93, mother's maiden surname Moodie, in Inverness in 2008, and a birth of Cathol Magnus Sutherland in Kildonan on 1936.

That led me to https://larcheinvernessblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Cathol%20Sutherland and it occurred to me to wonder if someone at Braerannoch might have some knowledge or record of Cathol Sutherland having a brother who was in the squad who drew King George VI's gin :) carriage?

The comments mention a brother Dai. There is a death of David Robert Sutherland, 68, mmn Moodie, in Thurso in 2005, and a birth of David Robert Sutherland in Kildonan in 1936. Might this be Dai, and if so did he have family who might remember Uncle John George and the gin :) carriage?

Or perhaps John George himself had family who would remember this story? I wonder who signed his death certificate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:48 GMT (UK) »
You would need to be an Ancestry subscriber to use their messaging system.

Your money would be better spent ordering the service record from the MoD. That will answer your questions. ADDED Hmmm but you would need the death certificate to do that, so not as easy as I thought.

We thought about the MoD but they also need a DoB.....................

Offline PaulJC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:55 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot, but there is a death of Cathol Magnus Sutherland, aged 93, mother's maiden surname Moodie, in Inverness in 2008, and a birth of Cathol Magnus Sutherland in Kildonan on 1936.

That led me to https://larcheinvernessblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Cathol%20Sutherland and it occurred to me to wonder if someone at Braerannoch might have some knowledge or record of Cathol Sutherland having a brother who was in the squad who drew King George VI's gin :) carriage?

I appreciate all avenues but have other projects that hopefully will be easier to complete......