Author Topic: Hugh Orr  (Read 107653 times)

Offline Dave_

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Orr
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 November 22 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Re the death notice for Hugh Orr it is in the civil records list.
Year of death 1869
Age at death 70
Ballymoney.

I tried to send you copy to no avail

Re James Orr/Jane Shirley I have a copy of their marriage cert.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 November 22 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of the marriage certificate from Aghadowey Presbyterian Church.

You seem to think the extract from the civil registrations is a death notice but a death notice is what appears in the newspaper to announce a death.
Unfortunately, Hugh Orr's death certificate in not yet viewable on the Irish Genealogy site so you can either wait for it to be added (it will be eventually) or go to GRONI site, register then pay for a few credits and then view the registration which will show exact place of death, occupation & details of informant.
I can tell you that the Hugh Orr in question died 21 July 1869 in Ballymoney registration district and Ballymoney sub-district (not Dirraw sub-district as I'd hoped).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 November 22 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Did a bit more digging which is confirming my suspicions. Firstly, I got Hugh Orr's 1869 detail registration (PM me with an email address if you'd like a copy).
Hugh Orr died in Ballymoney Workhouse (unfortunately usual or former address not listed), married, labourer, cancer of kidney (1 yr.), informant is not a relative as I'd hoped.

Now, starting with the 1845 marriage certificate -
1) James' residence is Scalty which isn't far from Rhee. This is where he was living at the time of the marriage but it's unlikely he was born there. It's more likely that he came into the area to work and met Jane Shirley. I think he was from Co. Antrim or more exactly probably from Finvoy or vicinity. More on this in a moment.
2) James' father is listed as Hugh Orr, a miller. There is no indication of any such miller in the Aghadowey area with this name (and there was no mill in Scalty). I think he was a labourer, perhaps a weaver, but not a miller.

I should note that Jane Shirley's uncle, Valentine Shirley, married Ann Orr (daughter of Paul Orr & Isabelle Boyd) but I can find no connection between James Orr and Paul Orr. I have, however, found quite a few possible connections to James Orr in the Ballymoney area (remember this is where James & Jane Orr lived before moving to Scotland). It's unfortunate that most of their children were born before birth registration started in Ireland so we can't yet be sure where they lived before 1864. The baptismal register for Aghadowey Presbyterian Church (the Shirley's church) starts 1855 and doesn't record any of the children (another reason I think they were in County Antrim pre-1864).
I'm still trying to find Hugh Orr's wife (death registration says married) and a few other bits before posting everything.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 November 22 22:35 GMT (UK) »
You are making progress...  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dave_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 19 November 22 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I only started this journey on 18th Oct 22....I am amazed and thankul for all the feedback.

I could not send PM but a big thank you for your help.
I will now follow leads in Ballymoney

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 19 November 22 10:52 GMT (UK) »
You'll need to remove your email address (or else a moderator might do it) but will send the certificate and Orr details when I finish typing. I need to refresh my memory of the latest edition of the Orr/Shirley family history in case I've missed something.
If you've just started on the Orr family just wait until you start researching the Shirleys. They were French Huguenots who settled in Ireland and have been in the Rhee for many generations now. They helped develop the hand-loom weaving industry in Aghadowey (once known worldwide for the quality of its linen) and Valentine Shirley was said to have made linen for undergarments of Queen Victoria.

Offline Dave_

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 November 22 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
Orrs are my late mums side.