Author Topic: So where are all the additional children?  (Read 3633 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: So where are all the additional children?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 November 22 16:47 GMT (UK) »

The Mason family in 1871 Bathurst, Lanark South, Ontario.
All the children seem to be born Ontario.

Robertson Mason   46
Sarah Ann Mason  (McDonald)   46
William Mason   21
Sarah Ann Mason   18
Margaret Mason   16
Jean Mason   12
Isabella Mason   10
Robertson Mason   8
Duncan Mason   6
Robert Mason   1

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 November 22 16:47 GMT (UK) »
In addition to my earlier comments, at least three of my ancestors followed relatives to Ontario (which was a surprise as I didn’t know of their existence).  Have you tried searching for Davies and other McDonalds in the Ontario towns and/or counties where your ancestors lived?  If one family left Scotland it’s possible others did as well.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 November 22 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Duncan remarried 30 Aug 1858 Bathurst Twsp Lanark to Sarah Smith.  On 1891 census they are in Perth, Lanark County and Sarah also has Jane added to Christian name.

https://globalgenealogy.com/countries/canada/ontario/resources.htm
The sources you get from this site all cost money but reasonable if you get PDF download.  Check out resources for Lanark County.  Many of the books listed have a browsable index that lets you get an indication of what information might be available.
I purchased one book as a download from this source and they were efficient. 

Where did Jane die in 1906 and under what surname.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 November 22 18:33 GMT (UK) »

Where did Jane die in 1906 and under what surname.

I asked this question in reply 1 - to check if it was this one  ? :-

Jane Logie 1827 Scotland - 5 June 1906  (aged 79 years)
Death Place Huron, Ontario, Canada
Religion Presbyterian - Cause of Death Old Age

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 November 22 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all very much for your helpful replies, and I apologize for my delay in reacting.  I am very sorry if I didn't explain this adequately, but I was only really looking to discover any children who are additional to the one I already knew of and had listed -- not to know what happened to the listed ones once the family reached Canada.  I already knew that.  But thank you anyway.

That said, Sandra, I hadn't found Alexander MacDonald in the '51, so I am grateful for that tip.

Lisa, I too was struck by the odd gaps in 'children production' in this family.  But I haven't been able to fill them. :(  Assuming there is anything to fill them with.  But I will certainly check out the 1824 male birth you found (on Scotlandspeople) -- same parents and parish as other births, so this looks very promising; thank you!  One of the children -- the eldest, Thomas -- certainly stayed in UK but moved away from Inverness. (No work there).  And thank you for all the Canadian research tips -- certainly a couple of them were fresh ideas to me and I am sure will prove helpful.  Several of Sarah Davies' siblings (and, indeed, nephews and nieces) also moved to Canada with their spouses; but no known-of interactions with the MacDonalds post move, unfortunately.  (I have not yet been able to identify William MacDonald's parents and siblings to see if any of them might have crossed the Big Pond; but I shall work on that!)

Brigidmac, it had crossed my mind too, a while back, about a possible earlier marriage for William and some of Jane Logie's siblings being half siblings; but now you've reminded me of that possibility again I shall certainly investigate it -- thank you.  If birth date I have for William is correct, then he would have been about 24 when he married Sara, so an earlier marriage (and offspring) is not inconceivable.

Cosmac, thank you for the website reference.  It looks interesting and helpful.

Once again, sincere thanks to all for all your help.

CELTICANNIE   
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 November 22 22:56 GMT (UK) »
…Lisa, I too was struck by the odd gaps in 'children production' in this family.  But I haven't been able to fill them. :(  Assuming there is anything to fill them with.  But I will certainly check out the 1824 male birth you found (on Scotlandspeople) -- same parents and parish as other births, so this looks very promising; thank you!  One of the children -- the eldest, Thomas -- certainly stayed in UK but moved away from Inverness. (No work there)…

Several of Sarah Davies' siblings (and, indeed, nephews and nieces) also moved to Canada with their spouses; but no known-of interactions with the MacDonalds post move, unfortunately.  (I have not yet been able to identify William MacDonald's parents and siblings to see if any of them might have crossed the Big Pond; but I shall work on that!)

Brigidmac, it had crossed my mind too, a while back, about a possible earlier marriage for William and some of Jane Logie's siblings being half siblings; but now you've reminded me of that possibility again I shall certainly investigate it -- thank you.  If birth date I have for William is correct, then he would have been about 24 when he married Sara, so an earlier marriage (and offspring) is not inconceivable... 

I imagine you’ve thoroughly checked Scottish records for the “missing” births.  Most likely yes, but have you checked Ireland and England, in case they left Inverness?  You’ve checked the UK for births starting c1810 in case William had family outside of Inverness (where Thomas eventually settled)?  (I hope that makes sense.)

Do you know when Davies siblings moved to Canada?  It might help narrow down when William arrived in Canada and exactly where he lived.

Do Scottish birth records record father’s occupation?  If so, might there be any McDonalds with father’s occupation as plasterer?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 November 22 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to keep asking questions…just trying to help.

Have you checked out this fellow?
1841 Inverness, Scotland census
Alexander Mcdonald, age 43 (born c1798), born Inverness, Scotland, Plasterer
Address: Tomnahwick(?)  :-\ Street
Elisabeth Mcdonald, 15
Alexander Mcdonald, 14
William Mcdonald, 10

Could he be related or was it just coincidence (since he has a common surname) about his occupation and sons’ names.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 18 November 22 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Lisa's list of recommended sources is excellent! 
You might also try

Local history societies - check out the OGS branches and other history groups
http://www.perthhs.org/links.html
https://ottawa.ogs.on.ca/geneorama/lanark-county/
Local libraries

They often have books detailing the history of the area, local historic newspapers (write ups of weddings, anniversaries, funerals etc), family fond collections, church histories etc.   I have had really good luck with these kinds of sources.     

I found that most of my Scots and Irish Canadian ancestors stayed in the same area for a couple of generations - before heading off in different directions.  As Lisa suggested - check other census pages to see who else lives nearby.   

The County Atlas project is also very helpful
https://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/searchmapframes.php

Have you looked at the Donald Whyte books - Scottish Emigrants to Canada before Confederation? 

RK     

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 November 22 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Lisa and Rumkitty, I am so sorry not to have made it back before now to thank you for your additional much-appreciated input.  Sometimes, other things in life get in the way. >:(

Lisa, thank you for the additional ideas of things to check out.  I'm very intrigued by your discovery of another MacDonald plasterer in Inverness with family Christian names that overlap with 'my lot' and will certainly be investigating him!  (A younger brother of 'my' William, possibly?) I checked out the record relating to the additional birth you found -- and, frustratingly, as well as being unnamed, the baby's gender is unspecified; so this could easily be one of the children I already know from Canadian census records.  Intriguingly, however, one of the witnesses to the baptism is a 'Doctor MacDonald' -- so there is another possible family link to investigate there.

Rumkitty, thank you for your suggested further sources and other information.  I feel sure they will prove useful.  Canadian genealogy is a relatively new field for me.

Thank you both so much!

CELTICANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada