Author Topic: Thomas Williams, Engine Driver  (Read 42867 times)

Offline Ingilramus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Williams, Engine Driver
« on: Wednesday 16 November 22 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find out any information about my possible Great Great Grandfather, Thomas Williams.

He is named as the father of my Great Grandfather, Peter Williams (b. circa 1860, Llandrillo, Merionethshire) on the latter's marriage certificate (1882) and his occupation is given as Engine Driver.

He is not stated to be deceased on the marriage certificate, although I know that could be wrong.

As his son Peter was born in 1860, I am assuming that he was most likely born sometime between 1820 and 1840, give or take a couple of years.

I can't find Peter's birth in the GRO index. And in the 1871 and 1881 censuses, Peter appears to be first a lodger and then a servant, but in neither instance is he living with his parents.

So I am now stuck on where else to look for Thomas or Peter's mother, whoever she was.

Any information or ideas gratefully received.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Williams, Engine Driver
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 22 05:58 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Peter's parents might have been unmarried as was never living with them ?    :-\ 

There are only two Peter's listed in the Corwen Reg District that includes Llandrillo in 1860-1862 - including the one below Peter William Jones with mother's maiden name Jones. I can't see this Peter in  the census etc -  Just a thought that the mother might have used his father's name as his middle name when she registered him??

JONES, PETER  WILLIAM      mmn JONES     
GRO Ref: 1861  J Quarter in CORWEN  Volume 11B  Page 433

Kay

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 22 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to follow up the David Williams, witness to the 1882 Marriage?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 22 07:36 GMT (UK) »
The only registration in Merionethshire:
Peter Williams . mmn Rowlands . Apr-Jun 1857 . Machynlleth . Volume 11b . Page 194

Offline Ingilramus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 22 08:25 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Peter's parents might have been unmarried as was never living with them ? 

I have thought that his name at birth might have been different to the name he later used, or that Llandrillo might not have been his place of birth. If he wasn't living with his parents it's possible that facts about his birth might have become muddled. I have also thought that his parents might not have been married.

This Thomas William Jones could be a good lead to investigate, though. In theory 1/8th of my DNA matches should be linked to Peter's parents, so I might be able to pick something up that way.

Have you tried to follow up the David Williams, witness to the 1882 Marriage?

Yes, I have thought he might be a brother or an uncle. There is a David Williams who is a possible who is living in Cerrigydrudion on the 1881 census, a couple of pages away from Peter's future wife. Probably just coincidence but also something else I have been looking into.

Thank you all

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 November 22 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Machynlleth is a good distance from Llandrillo and maybe too far, but there are no registrations in Corwen or Bala. In Ruthin two were registered both with mmn Roberts and several in Wrexham which would be the next closest for registration districts.

1901 Census: Cerrig-y-Druidion, Denbighshire
Peter Williams . 1862 . Llandrillo, Merionethshire
Spouse: Elizbeth Williams . Children: Robert Williams, Emma Williams, Elizth Williams, John Alun Williams, Edward Evan Williams
Schedule 12 . Piece/Folio 34 . Page 2

If this is him in 1901, the only registrations that fit are Ruthin and Wrexham.

Offline Ingilramus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 November 22 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Machynlleth is a good distance from Llandrillo and maybe too far, but there are no registrations in Corwen or Bala. In Ruthin two were registered both with mmn Roberts and several in Wrexham which would be the next closest for registration districts.

1901 Census: Cerrig-y-Druidion, Denbighshire
Peter Williams . 1862 . Llandrillo, Merionethshire
Spouse: Elizbeth Williams . Children: Robert Williams, Emma Williams, Elizth Williams, John Alun Williams, Edward Evan Williams
Schedule 12 . Piece/Folio 34 . Page 2

If this is him in 1901, the only registrations that fit are Ruthin and Wrexham.

Yes, that is him. The daughter, Emma, was my Nain. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and order a batch of birth certificates and hope one has a Thomas Williams as the father :/

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 November 22 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper Article 1914: Deaths March 3rd, aged 28, Maggie, daughter of the late Mr. Peter Williams, Glasfryn, Cerygy-drudion
https://newspapers.library.wales/view/4244223/4244231/58/