Author Topic: Enlistment date and what regiment :  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Enlistment date and what regiment :
« on: Thursday 17 November 22 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Good morning All…   I have a problem with FindMyPast for the time being, in that by living in a post-Brexit Belgium, I need to pay 20€ above the subscription fee for the transfer of money ‘overseas.’  They replied that they don’t have a European bank account number.
In the meantime, I have a problem, (plus a conundrum) concerning a soldier…

His name was Thomas Corbett, baptism 13th Jan 1785 Kingswinford, Stafford. (father James – mother Elizabeth)  The Royal Chelsea Hospital has him resident in 1827, having served in two regiments.
I have him joining up in 1807, (no date) but I do not know if it was with the 96th Regiment of Foot, or the 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards.  At the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, he was a Sergeant with the 2nd Battalion Third Guards.  Unfortunately, he was Court-Martialled a week later and that had him being transferred to the 96th.
If anyone can provide me with an enlistment date and the ‘1807’ regiment, it would be very much appreciated.   

As for the conundrum…  Cutting a long story short, Thomas ‘obviously’ didn’t receive a Waterloo Medal.  However, he was Court-Martialled along with another man, and that man received a Waterloo Medal in 1835. (both men were scapegoats)
In the meantime, I have a Thomas Corbett on the 96th Waterloo Medal List, meaning that he, or someone with the same name received a medal.  But here’s the conundrum…, could the 96th Commanding Officer have reacted in the same way as the Third Guards CO during the other man’s demob, while on the same understanding that Corbett was also unjustly Court-Martialled ? 

Pouring down here in Belgium…, just as it did at Waterloo.  ;)
Thanks in advance…, Iain. 
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Enlistment date and what regiment :
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 22 09:25 GMT (UK) »
He enlisted in 3rd Foot Guards on 25 March 1807. Transferred to 96th Regiment from 13 February 1824.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BelgianAncestry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Local Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 November 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Well, Brexit was the  @!#a%@est  thing to do. Anyway, FindMyPast accepts Paypal payments so you could use that method to avoid bank charges.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »
He enlisted in 3rd Foot Guards on 25 March 1807. Transferred to 96th Regiment from 13 February 1824.

Shaun..., thankyou very much.  I hadn't a clue about that second date.  It's amazing that he remained in the Guards as a Private for so long following the Court-Martial.  Thanks...

..., Iain.   
MacFarlane - Tiree

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 November 22 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Well, Brexit was the  @!#a%@est  thing to do. Anyway, FindMyPast accepts Paypal payments so you could use that method to avoid bank charges.

Lol..., thankyou for that.  Unfortunately, I don't have Paypal.  Nonetheless, that seems like a good piece of advice.  I will research the system.  Brexit is becomming a pain in the neck.  I bought something from my Regiment the Scots Guards last month..., it cost about £10.  Customs and Excise then sent me a bill for £15 
MacFarlane - Tiree