Author Topic: William Davies, born 1854, St Harmon area  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Davies, born 1854, St Harmon area
« on: Thursday 17 November 22 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, i'm struggling to find the early life of William and would love some help please.

I initially believed his parents were John Davies and Ann Jones, but have now had his marriage certificate (2 Sep 1882, Register office, Merthyr Tydfil) naming Richard Davies, land drainer, as his father. Not noted as deceased, though the bride's father (James Mason) was shown as such.

I have found a census entry for 1861 [RG09/4237/37 p 18, Schedule 73] where there's a William, born Nantmel, and a brother Edward, born 1851 St Harmon, with parents Richard, labourer, born 1819, Llandinam, Montgomeryshire, and Elizabeth, born St Harmon.

Finding Richard with son Edward in 1851 [HO107/2494/161 p17] showed Richard, farm labourer, born 1818, Llandinam, married to a Mary, born Abbey Cwmhir, with older children Richard, Mary Ann and Sarah (all recorded as Davis). Using these names i found births registered on the GRO with mmn = Dakins, and then a marriage of Richard Davies to Mary Dakins in Knighton in the Jan-Mar quarter of 1844. William was baptised in Nantmel along with siblings Mary Ann and Sarah (together on 20 April 1855), Edward in St Harmon (strange as he was born between Sarah and William, but all appear to be the right family).

But I can't find a death of Mary, or a marriage of Richard to an Elizabeth. Nor can I find the family in subsequent censuses - which if Richard hadn't died when son William was married, I'd expect to. Nor a Richard, land drainer. No Davies / Dakins births after William in 1854 (until the 1870s).

Not helped by the other William also born in Apr-Jun 1854 quarter to John Davies and Ann Jones. Neither William appears to be with family in 1871 or 1881, making it difficult to determine which William is which. The 1871 has a servant at Fedw Farm (aged 16, born 1855, St Harmon) in Cenarth St Harmon, and the 1881 a farm servant (indoors) at Neiddu, St Harmon (aged 26 1855, born St Harmon) in Clas and Rhiwrhaid.

After his marriage in 1882, 'my' William remained in Merthyr Tydfil (Troedyrhiw), giving his birthplace as St Harmon in 1891, as Pantydur in 1901, St Harmon in 1911, and St Alman's (!) in 1921. His obituary on 6 June 1931 in the Merthyr Express, says he was a 'native of St Harmon's but had resided locally for about 50 years'.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Davies, born 1854, St Harmon area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 22 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

For reference, you have:
1851 CENSUS: At Vownog, Maesgwin, Radnor:
Richard Davies 33, Farm Labourer, Llandinam, Montgomeryshire
Mary Davies 38?
Richard 6, Sarah 2, Edward 1 mo., all born Nantmel

( A family of DAKINS are listed after them)

I would be looking closely at this marriage:

MARRIAGE:  By Banns,  at St Harmon, Radnor, on 23 Jan 1858
Richard Davies, full age, widower, Labourer, of John Watkins House,. Father: Edward Davies, Labourer
Elizabeth Owen, full age, Spinster, of John Watkins House,. Father: Valentine Owen, Labourer
Both signed by their X
Witness: Thos' Jones.  The Mark X of Thomas Watkin

You have, for reference
1861 CENSUS: At Shopfach, St Harmon
Head: Richard DAVIES 42, Labourer, b Llandinam, Montgomeryshire
Wife: Elizabeth DAVIES 55, Labourer's wife, b St Harmon
N---- of Child: Pryce OWENCE 11, Labourer's son, b St Harmon
Son: Edward DAVIES 10, Labourer's son, b St Harmon
Son: William DAVIES 7, Labourer's son, b Nantmel
Nursing Child: Elizabeth OWENCE, 2, b Nantmel

And go back to:
1851 Census: At Tarr…allt, St Harmon, Llanno, Radnorshire
Piece 2494, Folio 27, Pg2
Head: Jane EVANS unm, 87, Spinster & Pauper and
Dau: Elizabeth OWENS unm, 45, Spinster & Pauper, b St Harmon, Radnor
Gr-Dau: Elizabeth OWENS 8, Nursing Child. b St Harmon, Radnor
Gr-Son: Price OWENS 1, Nursing Child, b St Harmon, Radnor

GRO BIRTH March Q 1850, Rhayader
Price OWENS, no mms recorded ( indicates illegitimacy)

For the death of Mary - registered Rhayader, only one possibility popping out ( if registered as "Davies":
Deaths Dec 1854   DAVIES    Mary   Age 86
Deaths Mar 1855   Davies    Mary   Age 74
Deaths Jun 1856   Davies    Mary   Age 45
Deaths Jun 1858   DAVIES    Mary     Age 78

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Davies, born 1854, St Harmon area
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 November 22 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Cheers AMBLY, that’s fantastic. Don’t know why i couldn’t find the marriage of Richard and Elizabeth but that explains the ‘nursing child’ entries too. It didn’t occur to me that they belonged to Elizabeth. And looks like she had another older daughter Elizabeth as well.

I don’t suppose you can find Richard and Elizabeth in 1871 can you? If they have died by then it would explain why not only William but Edward and the other older children aren’t with the family. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....