Author Topic: Forbes Family Glasgow  (Read 2722 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Forbes Family Glasgow
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Just some further information on James Boston Forbes and a request for more help .

James   may  not be the person in America  on the 1930 Census as that person is listed as a packer at a bakery and James was a Engineer. That James was married to a Florence and had a daughter Florence and he is still there in 1940. But anything is possible with James .

In  1909 James married first in Scotland Annie Fairweather Purdon and they had 1 daughter who died 1910--can not find other children . But they are later divorced . ( Report in the Scotsman 21/7/1920 page 7) On the  ww1 Pension Ledgers he is listed as a Chief Engineer and kok is a Jessie Forbes but I can not find a Marriage cert.

James dies in New Zealand 4/6/1941--he certainly travels. On 1940 ships record to new Zealand he is travelling with jessie--and the address they give in Uk is north House,Upton Newark . this is the home of his sister Annie who married Thomas Abbott.

So  grateful for any information and I wonder if there were any other children.
many Thanks

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 10:14 GMT (UK) »
In  1909 James married first in Scotland Annie Fairweather Purdon and they had 1 daughter who died 1910--can not find other children . But they are later divorced . (Report in the Scotsman 21/7/1920 page 7)
There are no more deaths of Forbes with mother's maiden name Purdon in the deaths index at Scotland's People, and no births of Forbes with mmn Purdon on FreeBMD. There remains a chance that there was/were (an) additional child(ren) who died during the gap when mmns are not yet indexed (about 1940 to 1973). The 1921 census, when it comes, should clarify that.

On the  ww1 Pension Ledgers he is listed as a Chief Engineer and kok is a Jessie Forbes but I can not find a Marriage cert.
There is a marriage of James Boston Forbes to Jessie Ramsay in New Zealand in 1939.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that marriage.  No wonder  I could not find it in Scotland. 

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 November 23 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Marion Simpson Forbes' first husband, George Livingston Hamilton, was my first cousin twice removed.

According to the The National Archives (UK), Marion filed for divorce in 1922. Unfortunately, I don't have the actual records.

I haven't been able to find a record of she and Gerald E V Abbott's marriage. Or of Ida Grizel Hamilton's first marriage.

J
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 November 23 16:39 GMT (UK) »
 I am sorry i don't have then either --just the reference to them in Andrews Newspaper index cards .Good Luck.