Author Topic: Scottish records other than BMD / Census etc?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Tankflyboss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish records other than BMD / Census etc?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 November 22 16:14 GMT (UK) »
How do you know he was born in Scotland? since you say you've searched Scottish records have you tried searching for his birth in Ireland, England or even Wales?

Local newspapers might be helpful- you can do free searches of British newspapers on Find My Past- there's also an option to search Irish newspapers which shouldn't be ignored because often papers picked up stories of interest that happened in other places. Also search under any addresses you have found so far as you can never tell what will turn up.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/british-newspapers

Who was the informant for his death registrations? Perhaps they got his age wrong or he wasn't always sure or truthful about his date of birth (many people didn't know exactly when they were born)

As 1911 census should list place of birth, have you tried searching 1901 census using that lace of birth, approx. age and only Christian name(s)?

I'm not an expert on Scottish records but suspect things like school records, etc. will be in archives rather than online. Others can advise better but it might be helpful if you gave us an idea of a more exact location than 'Scotland.'

Thanks very much for the link and yes the other thread is the same person. Subsequent DNA research highlighted unexpected genetic trails that led to Scottish rather than Irish ancestry. I'm afraid it's still a bit of a mystery but I think he was born in either Glasgow or Edinburgh, sorry I wish i had a more precise location. Unfortunately, I can't locate a birth or baptismal cert. There is a rumour in the family that he was a foundling which may explain why his birth details can't be found as I have no idea what he would have been registered as.

His birth location on the 1911 census was England but I haven't found anything tying him there.

He was obviously hiding something, perhaps that he was a foundling in an orphanage.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 November 22 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I have names I can search under. My query relates to the existence of records alternative to birth marriage death census etc. I'm basically wondering what other records I can check and how to access them?
The answer is yes, there are other records. However it's not going to be an easy task.

In your other thread someone provided you with a likely-looking birth in England
GRO births
GALLAGHER, John       mms.       DEVLIN
1886  MarQ  South Shields  Vol 10A page 730
You can order a copy of this birth certificate from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Your apparent determination in this thread not to name names, even when specifically asked, or to list dates and places, does not make it easy to help. There is no point in withholding whatever information you do have.

If he was an orphan or a foundling, and you are very lucky, there could be information in the Parochial Board records. Not all of these have survived, but if they have they contain a vast amount of detail. Many of the ones from Glasgow have survived and can be consulted in the City Archives in the Mitchell Library. Few of the Edinburgh ones have survived, but the Edinburgh City archives will be able to tell you what is available.

There are registers of electors. They are arranged by electoral ward, then by parish, then by address and I am not aware of anywhere they are online. You can usually find them in the form of tomes in main libraries, but you need to know which library to go to. Alternatively you can get pretty much all of them in the National Library of Scotland and I think in the National Records of Scotland, both in Edinburgh. Bear in mind that until 1918 not all men had the right to vote.

There are surviving school admission registers. You need to know where the school was, and which former local authority managed it. Then which archive holds the surviving records of that local authority. Unless it was one of the many private schools, in which case you need to find out where the school's archives are. Note that by no means all school records have survived.

The extant Church of Scotland parish registers were collected by the Registrar General in 1855, but churches went on keeping records of baptisms. A few of these have found their way into archives, as have the post-1855 records of the Roman Catholic Church and some other denominations. Most, however, remain with the churches, so you would need to know which church he was baptised in and then find out whether the baptismal register has survived and if so where it is.

Adoption records are not an option. First, formal adoption only began in about 1930, which is too late for your man, and second, adoption records are only available to the adopted person or a formally authorised agent acting for the adopted person.

Don't believe any suggestion that you can reliably distinguish Scottish ancestry from Irish ancestry by DNA.

And please don't start new threads about the same person/people without including a link to all previous threads. It would be very annoying to find that we have been wasting our time looking up information that other people have already found for you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tankflyboss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 November 22 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I have names I can search under. My query relates to the existence of records alternative to birth marriage death census etc. I'm basically wondering what other records I can check and how to access them?
The answer is yes, there are other records. However it's not going to be an easy task.

In your other thread someone provided you with a likely-looking birth in England
GRO births
GALLAGHER, John       mms.       DEVLIN
1886  MarQ  South Shields  Vol 10A page 730
You can order a copy of this birth certificate from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Your apparent determination in this thread not to name names, even when specifically asked, or to list dates and places, does not make it easy to help. There is no point in withholding whatever information you do have.

If he was an orphan or a foundling, and you are very lucky, there could be information in the Parochial Board records. Not all of these have survived, but if they have they contain a vast amount of detail. Many of the ones from Glasgow have survived and can be consulted in the City Archives in the Mitchell Library. Few of the Edinburgh ones have survived, but the Edinburgh City archives will be able to tell you what is available.

There are registers of electors. They are arranged by electoral ward, then by parish, then by address and I am not aware of anywhere they are online. You can usually find them in the form of tomes in main libraries, but you need to know which library to go to. Alternatively you can get pretty much all of them in the National Library of Scotland and I think in the National Records of Scotland, both in Edinburgh. Bear in mind that until 1918 not all men had the right to vote.

There are surviving school admission registers. You need to know where the school was, and which former local authority managed it. Then which archive holds the surviving records of that local authority. Unless it was one of the many private schools, in which case you need to find out where the school's archives are. Note that by no means all school records have survived.

The extant Church of Scotland parish registers were collected by the Registrar General in 1855, but churches went on keeping records of baptisms. A few of these have found their way into archives, as have the post-1855 records of the Roman Catholic Church and some other denominations. Most, however, remain with the churches, so you would need to know which church he was baptised in and then find out whether the baptismal register has survived and if so where it is.

Adoption records are not an option. First, formal adoption only began in about 1930, which is too late for your man, and second, adoption records are only available to the adopted person or a formally authorised agent acting for the adopted person.

Don't believe any suggestion that you can reliably distinguish Scottish ancestry from Irish ancestry by DNA.

And please don't start new threads about the same person/people without including a link to all previous threads. It would be very annoying to find that we have been wasting our time looking up information that other people have already found for you.

Thanks for the info, thats all i was after. Im at no liberty to provide anyones names. Im not asking anyone to research anything for me I only asked what records I could check. So what if i have a previous thread as i said im not asking anyone to research a person for me. You lot and your imaginary power trips!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 November 22 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Well, if that is your response I promise you that you need not worry that I will ever offer you any more help.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Tankflyboss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 November 22 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Well, if that is your response I promise you that you need not worry that I will ever offer you any more help.

Treat people with a bit more respect and grow up a bit.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 November 22 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Respect needs to work in all directions.

I am locking this thread for the moment.

I have not read the other thread to see what was put there, but from what I read here, it is extremely difficult for anyone to offer specific advice given the lack of geographical pointers, what the person's occupation was in life.  There may be many other records that you could search, but if you are not at liberty to divulge any more information, I fear that there is very little more in the way of advice that can be offered.

Now I'm away back to watch the rather exciting wheelchair rugby final   ;D

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk