Author Topic: LMA Request - Charles Daniel Lawrence 1880 inquest  (Read 1634 times)

Offline redmeagher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LMA Request - Charles Daniel Lawrence 1880 inquest
« on: Friday 18 November 22 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I recently got the death certificate for Charles Daniel Lawrence (b. 1840, d. 1880) and it said he was found dead in a tank on 15th April 1880 at 104 Chenies Mews, Tottenham Court, Pancras, which is where his family lived in the 1881 census. It also said an inquest was held for him in Central District by Dr William Hardwicke on the 16th and the verdict was "cause not sufficient" as to whether it was a suicide or an accident.

The catalogue reference code for the coroner's register during this period at LMA is COR/A/006, so I was hoping if someone might have a look at it while on a visit to the LMA and see if it reveals any further information? I realise it might be a bit of a long shot, but I haven't found any newspaper articles about it whatsoever (despite other inquests by Dr Hardwicke being reported on at the time) so I'm looking for any clues whatsoever.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LMA Request - Charles Daniel Lawrence 1880 inquest
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 November 22 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

I’m afraid there are no inquest reports or witness depositions for the Central Middlesex district for this date. The Coroners’ Registers in series A are simply administrative listings of the cases heard, and they normally contain no details beyond what is on the death certificate.

The newspapers are the best chance of finding something. You might try asking Camden Local Studies Library if there is anything in, for example, the St Pancras Guardian, as that paper is one of the very many local London newspapers that is not online.

https://www.camden.gov.uk/about-the-local-studies-archives-centre

Offline redmeagher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LMA Request - Charles Daniel Lawrence 1880 inquest
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 22 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat!

I’m afraid there are no inquest reports or witness depositions for the Central Middlesex district for this date. The Coroners’ Registers in series A are simply administrative listings of the cases heard, and they normally contain no details beyond what is on the death certificate.

The newspapers are the best chance of finding something. You might try asking Camden Local Studies Library if there is anything in, for example, the St Pancras Guardian, as that paper is one of the very many local London newspapers that is not online.

https://www.camden.gov.uk/about-the-local-studies-archives-centre

Oh, thanks for the clarification! I had guessed it was unlikely the registers would have any more info, but it certainly sounds like you're right - especially since the registrar did his best to cram as many details into the death cert as possible.

And I'll definitely ask the Local Studies department - I don't really have the option to travel to London for genealogical research any time soon, but it didn't occur to me that they might be able to help me out. And if not, I can always put that on my list the next time I travel to London not on business.