Author Topic: Elizabeth Marion MACKAY b. abt 1875 Toronto. Who's her mother?  (Read 16514 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Marion MACKAY b. abt 1875 Toronto. Who's her mother?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 November 22 10:35 GMT (UK) »
A possibility?

Ontario Marriages
George McKay.  Spouse: Sarah Jane Morrison
Marriage Date and Place: 23 Jul 1875, Toronto, York, Ontario, Canada
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 November 22 10:39 GMT (UK) »
fyremoon, do you have access to Ontario marriages?  If not, I can type out additional details for you.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 November 22 10:46 GMT (UK) »
It looks like wivenhoe found your people.

1900 Sydney, Australia marriage document for Catherine Elizabeth McKay.
Parents: George McKay, Sarah Jane Morrison. Place of residence: Manly.

Added: I see you are offline.  Good night from California.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 November 22 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Sydney Morning Herald 11 Sep 1948 p28
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18084371?
BORTHWICK, Catherine Elizabeth
Sutherland.—September 3, 1948 at 45 Corona Street, Hamilton Newcastle beloved wife of J Borthwick, dearly loved mother of Jessie (Mrs J L Lawson), Maisie (Mrs K Reinhardt) and James
Mackay, dearest mardi of Morton Bunty and James and daughter-in-law Natalie......

sister of Barbara (Mrs SPENCE), Jessie (Mrs BYRNES) and Marion MACKAY (deceased).

but not WALLER?

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 November 22 11:41 GMT (UK) »
fyremoon, do you have access to Ontario marriages?  If not, I can type out additional details for you.

Hi Lisa,

I don't have access, no.
Not sure if these are my people yet, but exploring the options! Thank you.

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 November 22 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Sydney Morning Herald 11 Sep 1948 p28
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18084371?
BORTHWICK, Catherine Elizabeth
Sutherland.—September 3, 1948 at 45 Corona Street, Hamilton Newcastle beloved wife of J Borthwick, dearly loved mother of Jessie (Mrs J L Lawson), Maisie (Mrs K Reinhardt) and James
Mackay, dearest mardi of Morton Bunty and James and daughter-in-law Natalie......

sister of Barbara (Mrs SPENCE), Jessie (Mrs BYRNES) and Marion MACKAY (deceased).

but not WALLER?

Curious... I wonder if they're MY lot or not.

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 November 22 12:22 GMT (UK) »

but not WALLER?

NSW Birth index search:

for George and Sarah J Mackay:

Catherine E S 1878 Newtown
Georgina B (Barbara??) in 1880 Balmain
Marian in 1887 Brisbane Water (to Sarah I - but could be mis-transcribed).

for George and Jane M Mackay:

Jessie J 1883 Balmain.

Then these Mackay marriages:

Catherine's to Gustave J Borthwick in 1900
Georgina H (B?) to William Spence in 1912
Jessie J to William Byrnes in 1925

And a death of Marion Mackay in 1947 with parents George and Sarah Jane (so this Marion isn't my Elizabeth/Eliza/Lily/Lillian Marion).

So I think these are all the above family, and if the George on the La Hogue has a father called Sutherland, it's likely they're the same family who've continued here with Catherine bearing that name...

However no mention of Eliza from the ship, if it's the same George and Sarah... and nothing so far to link that Eliza with my Elizabeth/Lily Marion Waller nee Mackay...

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 20 November 22 12:43 GMT (UK) »

but not WALLER?

NSW Birth index search:

for George and Sarah J Mackay:

Catherine E S 1878 Newtown
Georgina B (Barbara??) in 1880 Balmain
Marian in 1887 Brisbane Water (to Sarah I - but could be mis-transcribed).

for George and Jane M Mackay:

Jessie J 1883 Balmain.

Then these Mackay marriages:

Catherine's to Gustave J Borthwick in 1900
Georgina H (B?) to William Spence in 1912
Jessie J to William Byrnes in 1925

And a death of Marion Mackay in 1947 with parents George and Sarah Jane (so this Marion isn't my Elizabeth/Eliza/Lily/Lillian Marion).

So I think these are all the above family, and if the George on the La Hogue has a father called Sutherland, it's likely they're the same family who've continued here with Catherine bearing that name...

However no mention of Eliza from the ship, if it's the same George and Sarah... and nothing so far to link that Eliza with my Elizabeth/Lily Marion Waller nee Mackay...

I've found the others' deaths now, all with parents George and Sarah Jane:

Catherine Elizabeth S Borthwick 1948 (as per trove article as well)
Georgina Barbara (I was right) Spence in 1955
Jessie Jean Byrnes 1962.

I had a look at Eliza/Elizabeth marriages and cross referenced any deaths with those married names to see if there was a George and Sarah Jane, and nothing. One or two with George, but different mother, or an age which was too old for the Eliza we think came on the La Hogue.

So, still no connection with the above Mackays and my Elizabeth/Lily... and dubious connection to the La Hogue Mackays given they had a 1 year old Eliza with them (I looked for a death for her on/after arrival too but couldn't find one)...

I think I'm back to square one?

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 November 22 03:43 GMT (UK) »

From the marriage certificate, WALLER-MACKEY, 1895, can you please list all the information for Robert WALLER.

What is the marriage document that you have?.

Is it a transcription.......typed information.

Is it from the civil register........handwritten and all the writing is the same, signatures not different.

Is it an image of the original church register.....hand written, and different writing eg signatures.

I think you need to see the death certificate. It should record "years in the colony" which might assist in locating the MACKAY arrival.