Author Topic: Any help and information with this Elizabeth Symons photo appreciated please  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Hi, I’m trying to work out which of 4 sisters this could be. Elizabeth Symons born 1841, Ann Symons born 1844, Eliza 1847 or Sarah 1849. All born in Fremington, Devon.

I think the photo is 1860s but not certain.

I wondered if anyone could tell me anything about the clothes, could it be her having turned 16 or 18 so the family get a professional photo? Or even a bridesmaid photo? Maybe to send to a prospective husband? As you can tell I have no knowledge of these things so would love to know.

I’ve looked up the photographer and he covered a period in Ilfracombe from c1860-1880.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Personally I think it’s Ann or Sarah as they are the only two still at home in the 1871 census, Ann marries in 1879 and Sarah in 1881.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any help and information with this Elizabeth Symons photo appreciated please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 November 22 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It looks very late 1860 to* early 1870s to me. The fur drapes, etc. were popular in photos of that time. Her hair would be put up around  16-ish.

Unfortunately, I can't see enough of her left had to see if she has a ring,

Gadget

* looking at more pics , I've decided on early 1870s.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Any help and information with this Elizabeth Symons photo appreciated please
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 22 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, so if it’s early 1870s then I guess Sarah is most likely as she would£ be the youngest then at 21.

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 22 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any other photos of them?

Also, the marriage dates of Elizabeth and Eliza?

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 22 11:09 GMT (UK) »
It’s been sent to me by a distant cousin in the USA, loads of other photos but none we think are of the four daughters, so I don’t have any others, can’t find definite marriages for Elizabeth or Eliza but Ann marries in 1878 or 79 and Sarah in 1881, too many Elizabeth marriages to be able to confirm one sadly

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Does she have a glove on her left hand?  The Maltese cross pendant,does that mean anything?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 November 22 15:09 GMT (UK) »
When I enlarged it, it didn't look as if she was wearing  gloves.

I think she looks very early 20s. The fussy neckline and cuffs are a feature of  early 1870s. Her head wear is also similar to some that I've seen dated to this period.

I've checked for Eliza and Elizabeth in censuses post 1851, when the family were all together, but can't see the older girls. Sarah and Ann's marriage certs don't seem to have them as witnesses. Can't see deaths for older girls either.

Given her d of b, I think it must be Sarah.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 November 22 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Found them with the family in 1861 but Ann is not with the family then.  Mother dies ?early 1871. Sarah and Ann are with their father.