Author Topic: Anyone else noticed a trendy occupation?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else noticed a trendy occupation?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 November 22 14:41 GMT (UK) »
One of my fave finds was my great aunt travelling to USA as a 14 year old umbrella maker ☂️
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 November 22 14:43 GMT (UK) »
A 3xGt uncle emigrated to Australia in the 1870s; he was a stone mason.  He went to the gold fields in Victoria and started up a carterage.  2 cousins and a sister followed him.  On the back of their and other workers' labours, the 'entrepreneur' made a fortune as he managed to expand the carterage, set up a mail run, opened a general store (now a winery and still bears his name) and a hotel (we have a letter from the sister to one of her sisters-in-law in England stating that he never paid the husband and that he would 'pay him when he wanted to').  By the way, the sister had to take in washing, managed to buy a bigger tent and they took in 2 lodgers...in the tent...to make ends meet!  Can't fault his work ethic but his treatment of his workers was sickening.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 November 22 21:00 GMT (UK) »
My great-aunt and her husband began their professional careers as servants (cook and chauffeur respectively) between the Wars and set up their own dairy on the Sussex coast, which eventually became a chain.