Author Topic: Thomas RYAN and Wife Mary RYAN nee Kelly  (Read 1851 times)

Offline wexfordlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas RYAN and Wife Mary RYAN nee Kelly
« on: Sunday 20 November 22 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for any help that anyone can offer. I am looking to try and find the burial location of Thomas Ryan, he was born 10th Dec 1870 in Ballanock and was married in 1901 to Mary Kelly and then again in 1918 to Margaret Merriman. He is not buried with second wife for sure, I don’t know where first wife Mary Kelly was buried. I believe he died in 31st October 1939 .
His father was Matthew RYAN and his wife was Bridget RYAN nee FURLONG who were from Balloughton near Wellington Bridge who were married in Grantstown, I am looking for any help in finding where Thomas is buried. People who knew him think he was buried in Duncormick and his wife Mary Kelly went to Carrig . I have searched Duncormick cemetery and the graves seem very old for someone that may have been buried in 1939. I cant locate Mary Kelly in Carrig either .Hes not in the new graveyard in Rathangan either. Would anyone be able to suggest or have any information on burials in Duncormick, or where some one in 1939 would have been buried.Does anyone know can you search old obituaries foe Wexford in 1939?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas RYAN and Wife Mary RYAN nee Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 00:18 GMT (UK) »
This Thomas Ryan?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1939/04734/4266630.pdf

It is quite possible that a laborer from Forth Commons may not have a headstone at all - though of course some did.

I checked in the BNA - no sign of a death notice for him. Not surprising, as:
BNA coverage is not great for Wexford around 1939, and
Again, he was a laborer.

The INA may yield better results, but I don't have a subscription.

Did he have any children with his second wife? Some of those Merrimans of Forth Mountain/Commons are my relatives from back around 1800  :)
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 02:31 GMT (UK) »
One suggestion - check for/in parish burial registers.
Piercetown, which includes some of Forth Commons, has one that started in the 1700s.
Some other parishes started death/burial registers in the 1900s, registers that don't appear in standard reference works, as those mainly concern themselves with the 1800s and earlier.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline wexfordlad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer, thanks for your post. Yes thats the Thomas Ryan. Unfortunately there were no children from his second. I have located his second wife Margaret "bing" Merriman buried in Murrintown .Her brother was William and believe he had only one leg.I am not sure why Thomas wasnt buried with second wife, as he died in 1939 and she died in 1962.
Do you know if any parish registers are online or do you need to try and request to see in parish?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 November 22 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer, thanks for your post. Yes thats the Thomas Ryan. Unfortunately there were no children from his second. I have located his second wife Margaret "bing" Merriman buried in Murrintown .Her brother was William and believe he had only one leg.I am not sure why Thomas wasnt buried with second wife, as he died in 1939 and she died in 1962.
Do you know if any parish registers are online or do you need to try and request to see in parish?

I don't believe any of the parish registers are online (for the time you are interested in). So, yes, best to either call or visit the parishes in person.