Author Topic: Mystery Address Cooper Deaths 4 Leinster Rd. W. Dublin  (Read 3393 times)

Offline CPTDisgruntled

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery Address Cooper Deaths 4 Leinster Rd. W. Dublin
« on: Monday 21 November 22 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hiya--I'm trying to work out the circumstances of a relative's death. Dorothea Lucinda Cooper was born in Manitoba, Canada, in 1885, the second of four children of a father born in Co. Tipperary. He went first to South Africa, then to Canada, then to Co. Wexford, then to Wales, then to British Columbia, Canada.  :o
Dorothea trailed along. Her elder sister Honor/Honoria married and stayed in Canada, but Dorothea remained single. Like other family members, she retained a strong affinity for the church rectory in Killanne, Co. Wexford, where her grandfather and, later, uncle had served as minister, and after her death, according to an undated newspaper clipping, her body was conveyed to the churchyard there for burial.
My question is about the location of her death. The newspaper clipping shows her address at the time of her death as "4 Leinster Rd. W., Rathmines, Dublin."
Which, unremarkable.
Except that Dorothea's likewise single auntie, Elinor Violet Cooper, who passed away about 2 months later in September of 1939, is also shown in probate records as living at 4 Leinster Rd. W. Okay, niece and aunt sharing a home, nice--but I've got another kind of tangential relative also expiring at this address in April, 1930.
So now I'm wondering if this was actually a nursing home or other commercial establishment? Am I misreading, and it was the address of an office administering probates? Is anyone else familiar with this address?
Coopers and Ballantynes in Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Address Cooper Deaths 4 Leinster Rd. W. Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 22 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Eleanor Violet Cooper died 1939- informant, Eva Horne, was also of same address-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1939/04736/4267306.pdf
Weekly Irish Times, 7 Oct.1939: COOPER—September 29, 1939, at 4 Leinster road, West, Eleanor Violet Cooper, aged 84 years. I am the Resurrection and the ...

Dorothy Cooper died 1938 at Adelaide Hospital but usual address was 4 Leinster Road-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1938/04761/4276198.pdf
New Ross Standard, 8 July 1938: COOPER—July 5, Dorothea Lucinde Cooper, of 4 Leinster Road, West, Dublin. daughter of the late D. Cooper. of Killanne Rectory, Enniscorthy and _. Interred at Killanne.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 22 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I did find the obituary for one of the people you mentioned.

'New Ross Standard - Friday 08 July 1938'

'COOPER - July 5, Dorothea Lucinda Cooper of 4 Leinster Road, West Dublin, daughter of the late F D Cooper of Killanne Rectory, Enniscorthy and Canada. Interred at Killanne.'

That's all it says.

I couldn't find any other mention of the 4 Leinster Road address in the newspapers that fits that date. I think there would be at least one mention or advert if it was a nursing home or commercial establishment - but I could be wrong.

There was a much earlier one from December 1909, looking for a girl to look after a baby. No names given, and no evidence this is connected to your family - but that does add to the circumstantial evidence that it was a house.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 November 22 18:09 GMT (UK) »
looks like a regular house, 1940 it's listed as Miss. V. Cooper

note 'Leinster Road West' is off 'Leinster Road', at the Harold's cross end

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 November 22 18:16 GMT (UK) »
OK, I've found a few more bits of information.

The property was put up for sale in 1919.

Irish Independent - Monday 19 May 1919

It's described in the newspaper as

"Property Sale, The O'Morchoe's Estate"

Various properties are described and then it says

"Held for 500 years from 1855, subject to £3 per year. Let to yearly tenant at £46, 10s 4 (inclusive). P.L.V £26. This house contains a similar number of rooms to Lot 3."

Lot 3 was described as being a 'semi detached double fronted cottage house, 7 rooms, kitchen, hot bath, garden'

So it was no small place. Obviously that doesn't mean your relatives rented the whole thing entire - but it was certainly big enough to house three people.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 November 22 18:26 GMT (UK) »
link to that entry for V. Cooper in Thom's directory 1940

see top of the middle column

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 November 22 19:24 GMT (UK) »

note 'Leinster Road West' is off 'Leinster Road', at the Harold's cross end

Here's the location Google Maps/Street View
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01ry7/

https://tinyurl.com/6vu8t8fr

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper snippet - apologies if already mentioned

3rd February 1940 Weekly Irish times, Dublin
Recent Irish Wills
Elinor Violet Cooper , 4 Leinster Road West - Rathmines (£5.122)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CPTDisgruntled

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 November 22 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Wow--thanks, y'all!
The spelling of these ladies' names is as found on other family records, but there's no reason a non-family member would know to report those eccentric versions.
Two things about the newspaper reports--no surprise that Dorothea's was so brief. It's believed that she emigrated to Ireland from British Columbia after the death of her second parent, in 1932, and I assume that her aunt was really her only connection in the community (they had lived at the rectory with several other Coopers decades previously, but that was in Co. Wexford).
Dorothea was, like Elinor, a "spinster," and at the time of Dorothea's death, Elinor was 83 years old, so probably not a lot of clubbing going on.
In her youth, Dorothea had appeared sometimes in community theatre productions, but otherwise had apparently been a dependent or served as a companion in wealthier families. There wasn't much point in an expansive obituary, for there was little to report and few to read it.
I was quite surprised by the probate record. First, what does the final sum reflect? Is that the value of the entire estate, or the entire estate minus any bequests specifically identified in the will?
Either way, £5,000 seems like a lot of money for 1939! Where had she gotten it all?? She was the last sibling standing, I guess...
Re the Thom's Directory reference: it includes a number next to each entry. Is that the annual rent, or some other fee?
I'm a little puzzled about the house. I'm used to "semi-detached" describing what we call a duplex, a single building comprising TWO homes with a single shared wall, but the street view seems to show terraced homes. Is it likely that the house has been rebuilt since its 1919 description?
I was thinking that 1919 was likely long before the Coopers moved in, but actually Aunt Vi had lived in the rectory nearly her whole life. I assume she had to leave on the death of her elder brother, which happened in 1920, so maybe she was the original tenant after its sale.
Still lots of trivial questions--but thanks to you, I now have lots more answers! Thanks again!
Coopers and Ballantynes in Ireland