Author Topic: George Haycock, 1862 Wolverhampton - Found!  (Read 2098 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
George Haycock, 1862 Wolverhampton - Found!
« on: Monday 21 November 22 22:42 GMT (UK) »
First I'd like to apologize for my last flurry of erratic & chaotic posting. My DNA tests really threw up more questions than answers, and apparently I'm a hot mess of mutations as well. I should've stayed well away from the keyboard while sorting that out.

On to George Haycock.

As so many of you have helped in trying to shed light on George's origins, It's only fair I now present you with the answer to that riddle wrapped in an enigma. George was, indeed, a bastard.

As a last resort to break through that brick wall, I took a final DNA test with Ancestry. Among the hundreds (!) of matches, two caught my eye. Both were linked to a family called Whitehouse from Wolverhampton, and as some of you may remember, the story within the family was that George's mother was a woman named Maria Whitehouse.

I started to flesh out the Whitehouse tree which connected these individuals, in the hope of finding a suitable match, and soon found myself neck deep into a Gordian Knot of families named Whitehouse, Millington, Beddows and Martin. After uncovering the parentage of a Beddows-Martin son (connecting more DNA matches), who apparently tried escaping his illegitimate origins by changing his last name, fudging his father's name on his marriage certificate, and moving away from Wolverhampton, I got some ideas on how George's origins could have been obscured (including lying about his DoB on his naval papers). So I took a closer look at the Martin sister who was Agnes Millington-Whitehouse's mother.

Her name was Maria.

She married William Millington, and with every child I uncovered, he was listed as their father. Yet little details started to give me the nagging feeling that I was, in fact, looking at George's mother. Especially because the names of Agnes Whitehouse's daughters were all eerily similar to those of George and his Haycock half-siblings.

And then I found George Millington, baptized in June 1862 as the son of William Millington and Maria Martin. That really, really coincided with George Haycock's birth in May 1862! I gathered all the small DNA matches connecting several branches of the families, and set up a tree on DNA Painter's WATO (What Are The Odds) tool to see whether my hypothesis that George fit within the family was viable. It was.

Then I discovered a fact that blew me away. On the index for Wolverhampton parishes I discovered William Millington buried at Merridale cemetery at the age of 26 in September 1856. Logically, no children born after June 1857 could be his. Except he supposedly had six more, including George!

I cannot begin to describe the sense of elation when realizing I was about to crack a decades old mystery. But a theory is just that, and I needed proof, so I began to track all of the Millington children through the censuses in the hope I'd find a Millington-Martin-Haycock connection.

One son named Luke (1868) kept eluding me in the 1901 census. By then I had the first name of his wife and several daughters mentioned in the 1911 and 1939 census. But nothing I tried revealed the whereabouts of the family in 1901. So as a last shot I entered the wife's first name (Minnie), her DoB and PoB (1873 in Limerick, Ireland) and looked for her in Wolverhampton in 1901. Immediately the whole family popped up.

Under the name Haycocks.

That to me not only confirmed that George Millington was, indeed, John Haycock's son, but it also provided me with the near-certainty that at least Luke Millington, and possibly more or all of the children born after 1856, were also John's.

Agnes Whitehouse named one of her sons after both her and husband John's father John, and one presumably after John's brother James, but she named two after her brothers by John Haycock; George and Luke. None of them were named after either William Millington or his sons Samuel and Zachariah, her half-brothers.

I have no clue why Maria Martin-Millington was known within the family as Maria Whitehouse, though I suspect that George's sister Agnes being pretty close to the Haycock side of her family may have contributed to the name Whitehouse becoming 'stuck'. I also don't know how Maria met John, and maybe I never will. George becoming part of John Haycock's family sometime between 1862 and 1871 may have to do with Maria giving birth to twins in 1868 (Luke and his brother John, the latter dying at 5mo) and being overwhelmed. Who knows.

What really gets me the most is the fact that it only took me a week (!) of furious research, tweaking family trees and throwing several hypotheses at the wall to see which one would stick to solve a 25yo mystery.

Finally, I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to all of you who've helped me try to find George over the past decade or so. I'm not sure whether George Millington ever came across our keyboards, but it's fair to say the solution to this puzzle was somewhat unexpected.

All that matters now is that George has been found.
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Haycock, 1862 Wolverhampton - Found!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 November 22 13:06 GMT (UK) »
As an addendum..

I initially only found Luke Millington & family in the 1911 census, as they used the name 'Haycocks' in the 1939 register as well. Daughter Winifred Mary's birth (1900) was registered as 'Haycock', those of daughters Mary Josephine's (1909) and Norah (1928!) under 'Haycocks'.

So far I've found 16 children that were near-positive fathered by John Haycock with both his wife Susan Dixon and Maria Millington-Martin, nine of which lived to adulthood. Two of those may end up not being his, as they were born/conceived prior to Susan Dixon's death in 1860. But apparently being married was not a deal breaker for having children by another partner in that family..

Btw, if anybody recognizes these names as being part of their family tree, feel free to send a query for more information on the specific relationships. Or take a look at the (public) Whitehouse-Millington-Beddows-Martin tree on Ancestry. Of course I wouldn't mind a small accolade for the work, but honestly I'm just as happy if I can help others unravel this specific Gordian Knot.
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 November 22 12:40 GMT (UK) »
That's amazing !
Well done .

widowed women used their married names for subsequent births which is often confusing and leads to the children assuming late husband was actually their father.

I've found some baptisms which state illegitimate but names birth father so it is unclear which surname the child was given .

Conversely My grandmother was given her birth fathers surname as a middle name
on birth certificate But it was not included on her baptism record

One Scottish single mother seems to have hedged her bets and given child a middle name of one man and surname of another .
She took one man to court and the child continued to use that surname but DNA indicates that the other man was the birth father .

Your method of looking at first name clues is a great technique too.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 November 22 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Well done, great result. Especially after 25 years of searching and sleuthing.  :D

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 November 22 02:22 GMT (UK) »
An amazing result :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 November 22 23:03 GMT (UK) »
@ Brigid - Thank you. Maria Millington-Martin not only continued using her dead hubby's name, in some cases (like George) William's name is actually noted down as being the father, which is why I was cautious right up until the moment I found out he'd been dead for -literally- years. Also, I now discovered that Maria moved from her parents' place on Dale street to Whitmore Reans Lane between the 1861 census taking and George's baptism in June 1862. John lived less than 1 mile from the latter address at Sweetman Street. It all adds up.

I like that Scottish mom playing it safe (or just obfuscating) though she's making genealogists working for it  8)

@ Trish & Maddy - Thank you  ;D  I actually thought I'd never solve this, even with the Ancestry DNA test. Glad I was wrong, because this has been soooo frustrating!